Question about the shifter

SlowRider22

Local time
11:13 AM
So I ordered a Grubee GT5 engine kit to install on my bike, but it won't be in until next week.
I've been reading all the tips and tricks on this website, but I couldn't find what I was specifically looking for.
My question is about the bike's shifter. It has the twister-shifter opposed to the lever-shifter. Will that have any impact on the throttle control or is it just a matter of preference?

It's all relative, I spose. If having the throttle on the same side as the grip-shift affects your actuation of either the throttle or gear changes, then there is an impact, right?

Example: My first build was a 7-speed Schwinn cruiser, it had a grip-shift on the RHS. I put my kit twist throttle on the left because I couldn't get em both on the RHS without looking bad and hindering something. Gearing with my RH was/is more important to me than throttling with my right. I actually like my throttle to be on the left now and really like rigid grips. My current bike has a trigger throttle on left and a trigger shifter on right.

(Work to) make it work to suit ya! :D

Alright cool. Since I'm completely new to [motor] bikes and this is my first build, I guess I'll just have to tinker around with what feels right and what I like.
Thanks

Twist shifter is the way to go - had trigger shift on my bike and going to twist shift was not only better ergonomically, but safer too.
In my case, the rear derailleur twist shift is placed on the left hand side.

If you are getting a 2 stroke bike with a clutch lever you will usually find that when want to change gears on your bike chain you will first disengage the engine drive by holding the clutch lever in. if the clutch is on the left side handlebar you would want to shift gears with your right hand because your left hand will be holding the clutch lever in.

I started with a 7 speed beach cruiser with the twist shift (top 1/3rd of the grip) on the right side. I just mover it to the left side and got used to seeing the gear numbers upside down.
I also moved both break cables to a single lever in the right side. This leaves one lever for the breaks on the right, and one lever for the clutch on the left.

Jim

@ Tyler6357

Not if your bike has a centrifugal clutch, besides i can change gears with my (left hand mounted) rear derailleur twist grip whilst holding in the clutch lever.
I don't understand why it would be a problem; simply letting your glove fingers slide over the clutch lever and using your palm to rotate the twist barrel - not an issue for me...

My setup is the same as TheJimGuy:

I just mover it to the left side and got used to seeing the gear numbers upside down.
I also moved both break cables to a single lever in the right side. This leaves one lever for the breaks on the right, and one lever for the clutch on the left.

i mounted my twist shifter on a clamp-on mountain bike bar end (left bar end mounted on rightside) so it is right above the throttle, it makes me release the throttle before shifting. if you look at the pictures of my bike you will see what i mean

Back