Question for Moderator Jim:

Hal the Elder

Local time
5:02 PM
HEY JIM:

Awhile back, when we were discussing the Worksman Wheels and replacing our stock Whizzer wheels with them, you remarked at how efficient your Worksman front drum brake was compared to the stock Whizzer band brake.

You said that after breaking yours in, you had to be careful not to throw yourself over the handlebars!

I now have about 100 miles on my new Worksman wheels, with the Drum brake in front and the Coaster brake on the rear wheel, but my front brake feels mushy, and even with the cable adjusted for maximum pull, I have to squeeze the handle nearly down to the bar to get any stopping power!

Do I need more use to break it in?

Thanks,
HAL

Hi Hal,

Sorry to answer, as I am not Jim. On several sets of Worksman drum brakes I found it helpful to install a heavier brake cable. I discovered the original Whizzer cable to be too weak and caused a "mushy" feeling when pulling the lever. It is also very important to make sure the brake assembly is secured firmly and is completely straight in reference to the hub.

When setup correctly and broke-in the Worksman is FAR better than the original brake system.

Have fun,

Thanks, Quenton!

I used the cable that came with the Worksman drum brake, which appears to be heavier than the Whizzer cable.

My installation looks good, so I'll just keep on using the brake hard, to try to accellerate the break-in.

Thanks... HAL

Hi Hal
I don't have anything to add to Quenton's post. It works fine for me and I didn't need to break it in too long. Manybe 50 miles or so.

Jim

Back