Question on frame drop out

Rusty_S85

Local time
3:03 AM
I purchased and received a 150mm drop out Skyhawk GT2S frame. I was thinking of buying the HD wheel and hub assemblies from Bicycle-Engines. Thing is though I went with the 150mm as I wasn't fully sure if I wanted to do a multi speed build with a shift kit or go conventional single speed without shift kit.

Well I am leaning a bit towards a single speed now. Thing is I asked through their chat if the 135mm wheel fit on a 150mm drop out frame. That's the only way to get a single speed setup. The person replied back with no.

I want to ask if anyone has purchased these as I really want to know. Their website has photos of a chart showing a single speed for 150mm drop out with a part number of 26-135 SS but that part number I cant find anything on.

Like wise if one goes to purchase the frame kit with wheels the only option is 150mm drop out but you can select either 135mm single speed HD wheel and axles or a 150mm multi speed HD wheel and axles.

So I am confused as to if the 135mm single speed HD axle assembly would work or not.

Can someone provide some insight into this?

I purchased and received a 150mm drop out Skyhawk GT2S frame. I was thinking of buying the HD wheel and hub assemblies from Bicycle-Engines. Thing is though I went with the 150mm as I wasn't fully sure if I wanted to do a multi speed build with a shift kit or go conventional single speed without shift kit.

Well I am leaning a bit towards a single speed now. Thing is I asked through their chat if the 135mm wheel fit on a 150mm drop out frame. That's the only way to get a single speed setup. The person replied back with no.

I want to ask if anyone has purchased these as I really want to know. Their website has photos of a chart showing a single speed for 150mm drop out with a part number of 26-135 SS but that part number I cant find anything on.

Like wise if one goes to purchase the frame kit with wheels the only option is 150mm drop out but you can select either 135mm single speed HD wheel and axles or a 150mm multi speed HD wheel and axles.

So I am confused as to if the 135mm single speed HD axle assembly would work or not.

Can someone provide some insight into this?
Uh... Well it's a 150, so put a cheap cassette on a wheel of your choice, ring it up for single speed. May as well get a disk brake hub, you can get a sprocket that will bolt directly to it, then you aren't messing up the nice wheel, and you can have gears for pedaling when you feel like it or want to assist your single speed bike.

That's why I am looking at the HD wheel and axle kit from bicycle-engines. They have a hub for mounting the drive sprocket on as well as a disc brake rotor mount. But they cant give me a straight answer the one person I talked with there through their webpage chat and their website contradict themselves.

I don't really know if it would be possible to get say the 150mm wide wheel and hub set and pull the 6 spd cassette off and install a single speed or not.

Right now I have read some people commenting about problems with chains coming off using a shift kit through a conventional external shift multi speed cassette. I'm starting to second guess if I want to build a multi speed setup but I already have the frame, forks, and the paint coming to paint the frame. Just don't want to do any painting if I might have to get rid of this frame and purchase their 135mm drop out version.

This is the wheel and hub assembly I am looking at.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/HD-Bike-Wheel-and-Axle-Kit.html

The photo here on this page indicates there is a single speed available for the 150mm frame width.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/images/D/wheel-instructions.jpg

But the part number doesn't match anything I can find online. It also implies that the wheel can be used on 150mm and 135mm drop outs. Single speed on a 135 and multi speed on a 150. But yet it also shows the single speed on a 150 is a different part number. Maybe I don't grasp this properly. This is my first build how ever. But I am mechanically inclined so I can do this just need a nudge in the right direction.

Last edited:
That's why I am looking at the HD wheel and axle kit from bicycle-engines. They have a hub for mounting the drive sprocket on as well as a disc brake rotor mount. But they cant give me a straight answer the one person I talked with there through their webpage chat and their website contradict themselves.

I don't really know if it would be possible to get say the 150mm wide wheel and hub set and pull the 6 spd cassette off and install a single speed or not.

Right now I have read some people commenting about problems with chains coming off using a shift kit through a conventional external shift multi speed cassette. I'm starting to second guess if I want to build a multi speed setup but I already have the frame, forks, and the paint coming to paint the frame. Just don't want to do any painting if I might have to get rid of this frame and purchase their 135mm drop out version.
I think you only went looking for bad reviews, can't say a jackshaft is any more prone to chain problems than a standard kit, people who have chains flying off are people who can't line up chains and people with bent parts on their shifting system.

But anyway any wheel is about capable of being fitted with a single speed drive sprocket. It's especially easy when you use the disk brake rotor mount, and doesn't matter what width your OLD is or the dropout width is.

The point is that a bike can be single speed drive but still have a standard cassette on it, no problem

I think you only went looking for bad reviews, can't say a jackshaft is any more prone to chain problems than a standard kit, people who have chains flying off are people who can't line up chains and people with bent parts on their shifting system.

But anyway any wheel is about capable of being fitted with a single speed drive sprocket. It's especially easy when you use the disk brake rotor mount, and doesn't matter what width your OLD is or the dropout width is.

The point is that a bike can be single speed drive but still have a standard cassette on it, no problem

Ah ok. This is my first build so I am kind of feeling my way around so I can do this properly and not have any problems. I am only leaning towards single speed cause I saw a real nice retro style Indian build this guy did with the same frame. I am doing a retro style Indian build myself but was going more retro than vintage look by having a multi speed. Then I started reading about all these people saying derailers are not what you need you need to go with a internal shift hub. But everyone I seen looks ugly with the mechanism sticking straight out the side.

But thanks for you reply. I think I will just get the 150mm wheels and if I do go single speed I will change cassettes around. I probably will change them around anyways as I was looking using a SRAM 7/8 speed rear derailleur with 1:1 actuation so I can use the 7 speed cassette I found, leaning towards the Shimano Tourney. I also am looking at these thumb shifters that has the two levers. I cant really find one that would work like I am wanting it to work but I might be wanting too much.

Ah ok. This is my first build so I am kind of feeling my way around so I can do this properly and not have any problems. I am only leaning towards single speed cause I saw a real nice retro style Indian build this guy did with the same frame. I am doing a retro style Indian build myself but was going more retro than vintage look by having a multi speed. Then I started reading about all these people saying derailers are not what you need you need to go with a internal shift hub. But everyone I seen looks ugly with the mechanism sticking straight out the side.

NuVinci doesn't have a weird side thingy, the hub kinda looks like it belongs in space odyssey 2000 more than it does on an antique motorcycle however.. Spray paint is a fantastic tool...

You can add half an inch of nut to each side of the axle before putting it in the drop out if you pick a 135mm hub. The axle nut that goes on the outside securing the axle to the bike can often be found in about half inch thickness, or use a thinner one with a stack of washers, either way eat up 12.5mm of space on either side of the axle before you put it in the 150 frame and you'll be golden.

NuVinci doesn't have a weird side thingy, the hub kinda looks like it belongs in space odyssey 2000 more than it does on an antique motorcycle however.. Spray paint is a fantastic tool...

You can add half an inch of nut to each side of the axle before putting it in the drop out if you pick a 135mm hub. The axle nut that goes on the outside securing the axle to the bike can often be found in about half inch thickness, or use a thinner one with a stack of washers, either way eat up 12.5mm of space on either side of the axle before you put it in the 150 frame and you'll be golden.

Interesting. Might need to look into that. I don't mind a modern look long as it doesn't look out of place. In my eyes this is a retro build since the frame is nothing like the original motor bicycles.

I just know deep down I probably would be happier with a multi speed vs a single speed. I really guess the wheels don't matter because the website states both 135mm and 150mm assemblies will accept the same 1.75 to 2.25 inch tires.

But with the contradiction I have seen I just wasn't sure. I figured you had to stick with what cassette the hub is designed for if it was multi speed vs single speed. But if I follow through with my initial plan I will have to have a spacer made to take up the space for the sprocket on the left side to space the disc brake rotor properly out as I wont have a need for that with a shift kit.

Interesting. Might need to look into that. I don't mind a modern look long as it doesn't look out of place. In my eyes this is a retro build since the frame is nothing like the original motor bicycles.

I just know deep down I probably would be happier with a multi speed vs a single speed. I really guess the wheels don't matter because the website states both 135mm and 150mm assemblies will accept the same 1.75 to 2.25 inch tires.

But with the contradiction I have seen I just wasn't sure. I figured you had to stick with what cassette the hub is designed for if it was multi speed vs single speed. But if I follow through with my initial plan I will have to have a spacer made to take up the space for the sprocket on the left side to space the disc brake rotor properly out as I wont have a need for that with a shift kit.
Good, now the only thing I'm confused about is that last thing you said, what exactly are you looking to space out? A sprocket or a disk brake rotor?

Good, now the only thing I'm confused about is that last thing you said, what exactly are you looking to space out? A sprocket or a disk brake rotor?

The disc brake rotor. The wheel and hub kit the multi speed one comes with a 6 speed cassette for your pedal attachment and it also comes with a hub mounted 44 tooth drive sprocket for your engine. Your brake rotor mounts to this. If I do the shift kit I would have no need for the 44 tooth drive sprocket so I would have to add spacers to take up the space the now removed drive sprocket would have taken up.

The disc brake rotor. The wheel and hub kit the multi speed one comes with a 6 speed cassette for your pedal attachment and it also comes with a hub mounted 44 tooth drive sprocket for your engine. Your brake rotor mounts to this. If I do the shift kit I would have no need for the 44 tooth drive sprocket so I would have to add spacers to take up the space the now removed drive sprocket would have taken up.
You wouldn't normally bolt both the sprocket and the rotor at the same time. You shouldn't need any spacer for the disk brake rotor unless you use a 135 hub in the 150, in which case look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/271445914757

It's a listing for spacers, they can be used to change where the rotor sits on the hub, as in how far away from it.

If you use a 150 hub it should already be manufactured to meet the standard spacings for a disk brake rotor and caliper.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back