question - too folks with cycle anaylst how much power do you draw?

Maybe a small, one wheeled trailer generator with huge cables going to the ebike controller? 4500 watts could be fun
I think for like 700 dollars or 800 you can go 10kw on ebay... 10kw ebike unlimited range. the coolest ebike though would be like a rail ebike that could tap into the subways 600V DC... could really draw infinite power and infinite speed... probably go 600mph

Last edited:
why would you say 2.5kw for sustain? I put in a bicycle wattage calculator and came up with 1600w for 40mph.
The calculator I used also came up with ~1600w but the reference point was a road bike using the tops.

What bike are you using? Is it a mtn bike or cruiser? If so, remember those bikes are more upright (with wider handlebar hand positioning) than a road bike using the handlebar tops.

The reason I think this ebike could do 40 is cause the engine in the genny is basically a clone of the 79cc predator 3hp, and when those go in bikes they go idk, 40mph, and the inverter and switchmode is 90% efficient...
Don't forget to factor in the efficiency of the electric motor itself.

So maximum power of generator (3 hp) x .9 (for inverter efficiency) x whatever the efficiency of electric motor happens to be (I'll assume 80% if optimized for the target speed) = 2.16 hp

Last edited:
it really depends on the efficiency of your tires and aero. i would say for a normal mountain bike its going to be like 2.5kW for 40 mph sustain

This calculator is showing 2500 watts for a 6' 250 lb rider on a mtn bike for 40 mph @ sea level:

Lowering the height and weight of rider helps but the power output still ends up being over 2000 watts @ sea level in the majority of cases. (e.g. a rider 5'6" tall and 132 lbs needs 2000 watts.)

Last edited:
For a roadster bicycle:

1024px-Dutch_bicycle.jpg

Which is very similar to a beach cruiser in terms of seat tube angle and handlebar placement power for a 6' 250 lb man jumps to 3250 watts for 40 mph @ Sea level.

Screenshot-59.png

P.S. 5'6" 132 lb rider needs 2595 watts for 40 mph @ sea level.

Last edited:
Back