Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Joe,

Wrist pin size is different, pin location is different, as is the piston O.D.

Vintage wrist pin is 9/16"[.5625"], whereas new pin is 14MM [ .5511"]

Vintage bore is 2.25", new bore is 57 MM [.2244"]

Pin location is .040" higher in new piston [piston doesn't reach top of cylinder].

Most often the rod bushing is changed to fit the smaller wrist pin, however I just use a reamer to open the 14 MM hole to 9/16" and use the vintage wrist pin.

The difference in the bore is resolved by boring cylinder to fit new piston.

Wrist pin location is harder to correct, a thinner base gasket and new style copper head gasket will help restore compression level as current replacement head gaskets are thinner.

Most of the time I mill .040" from bottom of cylinder to compensate for wrist pin location.

Have fun,

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I'm new to Whizzers, but almost as old as the H engine I'm building! Is the piston modification something you do as a service? What other newer parts find their way into the older engines! Thanks

Hi Joe,

I normally rebuild several Whizzer motor every week. Latest rage is to upgrade the vintage "H" cylinder & head with larger valves, and major port work. This upgrade makes the "H" cruise slightly above 40 MPH. Valves are up-sized to 22 MM [.866"] from 3/4" [.750], and the difference is amazing.

I am currently upgrading seven "H" cylinders [5 for M in CA, and 1 for R in CA, and 1 for myself].

I am retired and spend about 10 hours a day, seven days a week in the shop working on Whizzer motors..

I have standard, .005", .010", .020", .030", .032", .040", .050", .052", .060", and .072" O.S. pistons in stock. Three of the pistons [.032", .052" and .072"]in stock are special racing pistons for the faster group .
The only service I can't supply is rebuilding the crankshaft, however I send them to Dave Reese in OH when they need re-ground.
Have had a lot of parts made or modified, including an American made automatic clutch, special HP heads, 9 different camshaft regrinds [Weber, Precision, Raceway, early NE], gaskets, copper head gasket, .O.S. crankshaft seals, needle bearing crankshafts, intake and exhaust spacers, flex pipes, valves, mushroom lifters, valve guides, progressive valve springs, etc, etc, to fit both vintage & new edition motors. I have thousands of vintage and new edition Whizzer parts in stock, and what I don't have, I know who does.

I can bore and upgrade cylinder, re-work head, clean & test carburetor, replace valves, replace valve guides, or complete motor rebuild, auto clutch repair, and the list goes on and on.
Average turn around time is 10 to 14 days.

Hope this information is helpful.
Have fun,

Attachments

• UpandAway.jpg
    UpandAway.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 397
Again thanks. I'm a few months from retirement. I've worked on and built everything from off road Broncos, classic & vintage cars, custom built motorcycles, AA/GS drag car to antique sprint cars. I found an old picture of my uncles (all motor heads) working on a Whizzer bike in the mid 50's and that sparked my interest. I like the fact that I can pick up the block in one hand, no more chain hoists! Thanks, I'm sure I'll be keeping in touch.

Quenton, not sure what the correct way to ask via the forum, but I'm in the need of a connecting rod for the H engine and magneto coil (I have the E frame). Can you help or at a minimum advise what the correct way of asking is? Thanks

I can rework E bar with high output coil [approx. $80.00], or you can buy ignition for about $110.00 from Memory Lane Classics [Ohio] or Ron Houk [CA]. Original coils had a 4,000 ohm secondary, whereas hi performance versions have above 7,000 ohm secondary. I have thousands of Whizzer parts in stock [vintage & new edition] and may have vintage rods in stock.

Not sure how to answer your contact question, might try contact information on my website

Have fun,

I can rework E bar with high output coil [approx. $80.00], or you can buy ignition for about $110.00 from Memory Lane Classics [Ohio] or Ron Houk [CA]. Original coils had a 4,000 ohm secondary, whereas hi performance versions have above 7,000 ohm secondary. I have thousands of Whizzer parts in stock [vintage & new edition] and may have vintage rods in stock.

Not sure how to answer your contact question, might try contact information on my website

Have fun,
Thanks, again I'm new to the Whizzer so I'm still learning names and email addresses. I'll get up to speed shortly. I plan on being at the Memory Lane swap meet at the end of the month so I'm hoping this helps. Thanks again, Joe

Be sure to subscribe to the Whizzer Newsletter. I have been writing articles for the newsletter for over 10 years on the new edition Whizzers. Lots of articles on the vintage Whizzers also. There are a lot of ADs and schedule of future events.
Be sure to see Harv, as he is the Whizzer expert. He will be able to fill all you parts needs [or most of them].

Have fun,

I was wondering if anyone has seen this youtube video of a H Motor clicking as the crankshaft is being rotated?
https://goo.gl/lIKdBm I was wondering what was making the clicking sound. It is not clear in the video.
I am about to pull apart an early H Motor would like to know what to expect. If you have links to this info I
like to read and learn so I don't expect someone to rewrite a novel for me :) Best Regards, Lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back