Questions on 2 Strokes

Is the Zeda 80 a single piece cylinder/head or can I toss a performance head on
Make NO customisations to that motor until it is "seasoned", as in fully broken in...read that instruction manual i gave you...they tell you that.

OOTB, when i first built it, it went up to 47 MPH before i chickened out and backed off to clean the racing stripes outta my undies...lol...i am much happier riding around at 30 to 35 MPH...Keep in mind your building a motorised bike, Not a motorcycle...lol...Forget the performance head...you don't and won't need it...i always put the K.I.S.S. on things...Keep It Simple Stupid...lol...

The front mount your looking at should work fine with a beach cruiser frame...I always use a sheet of very thin rubber from a sheet of rubber you can get most anywhere, to make the fit of the front mount nice and snug around the frame as well as the pivot joint...You Don't want thick rubber as it will actually increase vibration to an intolerable level.

My front mount which i built by hand and hand machined and then threw into a bead blaster is pictured below so you can get an idea of how this works...Note where the rubber is located and its thinness...DAMIEN

1.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg

I also get rid of the front mounting studs and go to my local Lowes hardware after measuring the depth needed and taking the studs with me to get the proper thread pitch and replace the studs with hex head steel bolts instead, and blue locktite them in and also use "wavy" style lockwashers with those bolts...its absolutely solid and nothing loosens up on that mount...Just make sure you postion and seat the rear mount first and then attach the front mount, and then do the final tightening on both.

I was getting some black on my clothes as well and thought it was from the muffler tail pipe end...Found out it wasn't...The black was actually coming out of the cheap, crappy, chinese, stock exhaust gasket between the engine and the pipe...I replace that with a gasket from a Toyota land cruiser O-2 sensor...no more dirty clothes.

Here is the current Toyota dealer parts#/stock#, for that gasket...89466-20020-83.

If you shop Autozone, etc., its a "Dorman" brand part number ...Dorman 47021
When installing it...The side that has more metal to it rests against the exhaust pipe, not the engine block/cylinder head area...you will need to slightly elongate the holes in that gasket for the bolts or studs just a wee little bit for a perfect fit...I used a slightly oversized bolt to do that with.

This is the best "exhaust gasket" for the Zeda 80...DAMIEN

Ps...Be sure to talk to me about the positioning of the needle valve "C" clip position BEFORE you put that slide into the carbie...it is critical for proper performance.

And for God's sake, order this direct fit airfilter for that carbie to get really great proper airflow for that carbie...That is the only other modification i recommend for the Zeda 80 motor kit.

After using the Valvoline 2 cycle oil that is recommended in the instruction manual, (Change what they recommend for the mix to a 32:1 ratio instead...Thats 4 ounces oil to one gallon of gasoline, preferably Ethanol-free gas, (Ethanol is known to eat at engine seals on 2 cycle motors and causing eventual leakage), and always mix in a one gallon gas can, never in the tank, as it won't be accurate otherwise), i use this oil thereafter as its the finest ive found and have run it for years...on my old bike, i had 6000 miles over 5 years of trouble free riding, at least as far as the motor was concerned...still have that old motor on a shelf should i ever need it again...lol.

If you don't know where to get Ethanol Free gas...just tell me where you live...i can locate a supply for you.

I also replace the flimsy "bicycle" kick stand with a center stand that is more substantial and sturdy.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Welcome back to the hobby! Yes, most of the mods still apply, however, they have improved the "China-girl/ happy-time" engines. The best improvement are the balanced cranks. But there are different designs on the market too. No longer is every "China-Girl" the same. They have improved them to 40 stroke, with different piston types and other deviations from what was once standard.

Im a CDH guy here. Good prices, great quality, an awesome customer service. While they aint selling racing engines, they do sell a quality engine. Everyone i ever bought from them is still going strong. I also like bgf. Both are phenomenal at shipping quickly and great support on their products.

BGF! forgot all about that one. I used to use BB, BGF, Thatsdax for by build parts. Haven't heard of CDH but will check them out if I do a second build. Glad to hear quality has marginally improved across the board.

@DAMIEN1307 I ended up getting the dio reed valve just for kicks and giggles. Will see if that adds too much complexity but should be a good project to learn about reed valves.

@DAMIEN1307 I ended up getting the dio reed valve just for kicks and giggles. Will see if that adds too much complexity but should be a good project to learn about reed valves.
Im the wrong one to tell you yeah or nay on that one...You are going to need someone like @Street Ryderz help with that...im good at the stock setups and how to get adequate long term results from stock...SR is good for modifications like what your going to attempt to do...I think your letting yourself in for more than you bargained for there, but thats just my opinion...Just remember, Make NO modifications to a Zeda 80 until it has been properly "seasoned". broken in FIRST...DAMIEN

BGF! forgot all about that one. I used to use BB, BGF, Thatsdax for by build parts. Haven't heard of CDH but will check them out if I do a second build. Glad to hear quality has marginally improved across the board.

A reed valve can make vast improvements but the dio reed setup is kinda wonky, that's alot of weight to hang from two little bolts and many people have issues with air leaks due to it bouncing around with a bigger 21mm or bigger carb hanging off it aswell.
That type of reed setup is really meant for highly modified high flowing engine there are better suited smaller ones for milder engines but it really depends on what your trying to achive.

A reed valve can make vast improvements but the dio reed setup is kinda wonky, that's alot of weight to hang from two little bolts and many people have issues with air leaks due to it bouncing around with a bigger 21mm or bigger carb hanging off it aswell.
That type of reed setup is really meant for highly modified high flowing engine there are better suited smaller ones for milder engines but it really depends on what your trying to achive.
dio is a great reed for a highly modded engine. Most the guys should stick to the g2 reed block though. Dio is a pain to set up without leaks. An my buddy that has one doesnt listen, his bike is slower because its not ported enough to take advantage of the bigger carb. He swears its faster. Yet a buddy with a stock engine and just a mz clone whoops him all day long. And he only spent 300 for his bike kit and pipe, and the used bike.

That was me in May of 2020 when i first built my little beastie...doing it right the first time has really paid off for me. the right tires, innertubes, rims, disk brake set, eliminating the tensioner, not using the front motor mount in the kit and making my own, making my own rear disk mount to the frame attachment to accomodate stock caliper adaptor, choosing the 36 tooth sprocket, etc. and the list goes on and on...lol...DAMIEN
Why ditch the spring loaded tensioner? Dont you find it more forgiving for keeping the chain on track?

Why ditch the spring loaded tensioner? Dont you find it more forgiving for keeping the chain on track?
My chains are cut to custom length, everything is in perfect alignment and tracking is straight and true...Zero problems really since it was first built in May of 2020 when it still had spokes...lol...losing the spring tensioner and mounting mags and disks etc was Feb. of 2021...Many hundreds of miles since then...Again everything runs true, havent even had a lose bolt or nut...lol...DAMIEN

If motorcycles and mopeds dont need tensioners, than neither do motorised bicycles.

Back