?Questions?

matt4x4

Local time
5:28 AM
I got some questions to ask. Here is the break down, I am 275'ish lbs, 6'4" tall got a Specialized mountain bike with some nice wide tires on it, 2.6's I believe. My riding style is mostly road and paved/hard-packed bike path, some single track.

The current issue is, I got a long gentle sloping hill that I ride everyday. Its just a long steady uphill climb everynight, I do not go crazy, just steady pedalling, takes me 20-25 minutes. As per usual I am tempted to go big or go home, but I never bought no gassie before. So I read the break-down on 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Learned that the Grubee 2 strokes are the ones to buy for 2 stroke (probably the "80cc" which is the 65cc. The 4 strokes are Honda or Subaru. I do not want to wrench on the motor all the time, I would prefer a quieter engine and of course I prefer more reliability. I believe the 4 stroke is the answer for me.

Would the Honda GHX50 cc have enough power for a dude like me, I guess it would totally for the gradual grades. And I could gear it appropriately. Should I be more looking at the GX100 or the 118 or 121cc. Its only a 0.7HP (1.8N-m) difference, the size is similar along with the weight.

I would like to know the name or term for the belt drive system where the belt goes from shaft, to something mounted on the spokes. I cant tell if this is an addition to the wheel or sold like that. Its hard to explain without a picture, but its mounted on like the one side spokes, and its like 4 inches from the place where V brakes contact.

I have this idea in my mind, tell me if this is crazy or not. I would prefer my engine rear rack mounted, slightly backwards so I have room to "squat" on my rack for steep downhills, sometimes I get the urge for a quick short steep downhill, like sidewalk to road, or shortcutting. Now quietness is crucial for me, I know stealth is unlikely, unless electric. Now if I enclose the engine, with air scoops maybe even a DC powered fan. Make it look like some odd mounted pannier bags.

This idea has some merritt I do believe. Mounting a geared hub via chain, from shaft, to hub. Then 2nd chain hub to wheel. Would have like 8 speeds to choose from.

Sounds Luke you're talking about a GEBE setup. I live in the mountains. I weigh 250 lbs. I use a Staton Inc system with a shift kit. I'm able to get up hills just fine. I don't know about where you live but here in the USA the only motorized vehicles allowed on sidewalks are personal mobility devices such as electric wheelchairs and like devices.

You don't need a huge engine, all you need is engine gears.

A 50cc 4-stroke 3-speed will get you up hills and good speed on the flats.

2_4Sshift12-R1280.jpg

2_4Sshift12-L1280.jpg

If you go up a hill every day it means you have to come back down it so pay special attention to your brakes.
Really, don't be silly about it, you can and will be hurt on these things if you can't stop in time.

KC those brakes are really important in some of the places I ride. Mountain roads are often narrow lots if sharp curves 7+ mile grades and 100+ foot drops over the side of the roads. Would be easy to reach 50+ mph speeds going down hill.

Depending on the displacement and complexity an engine assist, it is going to add weight. The GEBE (Golden Eagle Bike Engine) drives seem like such a simple solution.

I think that's what you're talking about, they use a Glimer Toothed belt or cog-belt from a small 11 to 14 tooth 'pinion' mounted up on a rack mounted engine, to a rather large, fiber reinforced plastic belt pulley, that 'snaps' onto the left side spokes of a normal 24~26" MTB bike rim with 3 to 4 cross spoke lacing.

Go to the Golden Eagle Bike Engines http://bikeengines.com/faqs/ and check out their description of their installs it's about the lightest and lowest friction set-up for a powered bike right now and you can get them with the Robin-Subaru EHO35 35 cc 4 stroke engine.

I weigh 240, my steel bike weighs 30, I sometimes carry 25 pounds of gear, and I have to climb some long, steep hills. So I, myself, am partial to a Staton-inc (Staton-inc.com) axle mounted kit with either a Honda GX35 35cc 4-stroke on it, or a Tanaka PF-4000 40cc 2-stroke. Consider using a 10 or an 11 tooth small sprocket attached to the gear reduction box.

Back