Questions

Grounded Millennial

Local time
7:40 PM
I am new to motorized bikes, that should say a lot, and I have some questions.
1) Does anyone produce a 80cc two stroke kit? I kept finding 48, 66, and 66/80, but no 80cc kits.
2) Does anyone produce an intake reed valve? On my old outboard, a 1987 Mercury Mariner, it has a reed valve on the intake and the prop hub-centric exhaust acts as a expansion chamber. I know there are expansion chambers available but what about reed valves?
3) What kind of carbs are you guys using. I'm probably going to stick with the NT carb for now.
If you have a moment I would appreciate it, thanks.

1) no sorry 66cc is the norm 70 in some versions though not many!
2)yes there are many different reed set ups being used!
3)there are alot of Chinese clones in this market!The stock nt will work fine to setup and break in the engine then if you want bigger you should do more research to see what you'll need to do for that to work!

I'm (eternally) saving for the R.S.E. reed valve and Walbro style carb kit from JNMotors.
I have specific reasons why I believe it is a good idea for the particular performance characteristics I desire. Reasons, based on the collective experiences of others here, since I am really new to the engines too and there is a wealth of information and experience here.

IMO you might be wise to keep away from very specific paths just for now, and think in terms of what kind of bike and engine you wish to build.
IMO, just take a while to browse the forum and read about what others have done and the reasons why. There's about ten years of posts and the engines available have changed slightly (you're lucky if you are in north America and can get a new Grubee) but the older posts have some good info if you only have access to the generic crappy time engine.
You can read up on the different parts of the engine and how to do mods that go together well.

What DO you want out of your engine? What are your priorities?
Pulling power? Acceleration? Speed? Reliability? Longevity? Stealth? Fuel efficiency? Low initial investment?
What tools are available to you?

Do you have a suitable bicycle and the skills to maintain it? No bicycles are meant to have an engine kit added to them (except that Grubee frame). Then again, I have spent more on wheels, brakes and tyres than some do on the whole bicycle. What are you going to use the bike for?

Last edited:
Back