QUESTON about sbp expansion chamber exhaust...

jokersmotors

Local time
10:35 AM
Would it be smarter to break in the motor with a normal exhaust THEN put the expansion chamber after it is broken in? Or can I hook up the expansion chamber on it without breaking motor in first? ALL RESPONSES ARE APPRECIATED THANK YOU. :)

if i were to hook up the expansion chamber before breaking the motor in I would not cut the header until after the break in process....all advice welcome..

Break in is supposed to seat the rings and heat cycle the head.
Gentle is better.
Use the stock parts.
Use the recommended 20 to one air cooled oil to regular gas mix .
Try not to use any ethanol gasoline mix ever.
After break in when it runs well two or three tanks full's at least.
Then start adding parts to improve the performance.

I would use the stock exhaust first for a gallon of 16:1. Then do whatever you want to the motor. The motor will probably last a little longer that way.

I have the same question as the OP but I am only replacing the cylinder. The piston and the rest of the engine have 80 miles on them already. My expansion pipe is already installed and header cut, and I don't have a stock one to use. Should I buy another stock exhaust just for this new cylinder?

If I was in this situation, I'd simply use the SBP exhaust and break in the engine in a sensible manner. JMO, the expansion pipe will not affect the engine in a detrimental manner. :geek:

I have never heard of people deliberatedly detuning their engine prior to breaking it in.:whistle:

I have the same question as the OP but I am only replacing the cylinder. The piston and the rest of the engine have 80 miles on them already. My expansion pipe is already installed and header cut, and I don't have a stock one to use. Should I buy another stock exhaust just for this new cylinder?

Use what you got. No reason to go to the expence of a new pipe. I started with my pipe, bike never ran with the stock pipe and I've never had a bit of trouble that could be traced to the kind of pipe on the bike.

Back