Quick And Easy Staton

vegaspaddy, it always ends well for me.:devilish:

I believe I've solved my engine stumbling problem.

You don't HAVE to drill the housing and use automotive tools.

Your local machinist would be competent enough to swap the friction rollers.:unsure:

Quick And Easy BMP Kit

I just started assembling my new BMP friction drive kit.

The engine channel has a SLIP-FIT!!!!! for the spindle bearings!:geek:

What's more, my used Staton roller wore the chrome off its ends, so now the roller is a SLIP-FIT!!! onto the bearings!

I'm using Staton rollers in the BMP kit because they have more of a selection to choose from. Staton and BMP roller assemblies are interchangeable. BMP's clutch drum has metric threads while Staton has American threads. That means ya can't mix/match individual drive components.

I'm not missing BMP's one-way roller bearing. I can live without it.:geek:

I just started assembling my new BMP friction drive kit.

The engine channel has a SLIP-FIT!!!!! for the spindle bearings!:geek:

What's more, my used Staton roller wore the chrome off its ends, so now the roller is a SLIP-FIT!!! onto the bearings!

I'm using Staton rollers in the BMP kit because they have more of a selection to choose from. Staton and BMP roller assemblies are interchangeable. BMP's clutch drum has metric threads while Staton has American threads. That means ya can't mix/match individual drive components.

I'm not missing BMP's one-way roller bearing. I can live without it.:geek:
Is this new kit going to be used in conjunction with the GP460?

New roller came in,(its huge compared to my other one) i can see this pushing a decent top speed....

now i could only figure how to put in on !!!!!!!! :confused:

I just found my bike back at walmart today they want $150 or so, i guess i got real lucky...

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Is this new kit going to be used in conjunction with the GP460?

Yes it is.

Methinks friction drive can tame the powerful 460 engine without breaking parts like other experimenters using GEBE, Staton chain drive and Scooterguy's chain drive. It's probably the least efficient but the simplest and least likely to self-destruct.

The engine channel can easily be strengthened with 3/8" allthread and four nuts. Three braces positioned front, middle and rear makes for a superstrong housing. An extra pair of struts positioned midship would also help, as well as another front U-bracket bolted onto the seatpost.

vegaspaddy, remove the bearing off that fat friction roller. Lay the engine channel on its back and position the roller. Now push each bearing into the channel from the outside. When you do this both bearings will begin to slip onto the roller.

Now get a large C-clamp and press the bearings into place.

To remove the large roller, reverse the procedure.

NOT!!!!!:devilish:

Try as I might, I couldn't figure a way to remove the 1.375" or 1.5" rollers from the Staton engine channel. A machinist charged me $30 to do it.

NOWWWW if you had a BMP friction kit, the bearings are a SLIP-FIT!!! onto the engine channel. Unfortunately both vendors' bearings PRESS-FIT onto the friction roller for Staton and driveshaft for BMP.

It's the plating on the new Staton roller that makes the bearings a press-fit. On a used roller the plating wears away and the spindle becomes a SLIP-FIT onto the inner race.

Sooo, if you have your local machinist clearance the bearing holes in the Staton engine channel ANNND machine the new roller's ends, then you'll be able to install and remove your friction rollers "Quick And Easy Staton"!:unsure:

If not, it's time to pay the machinist each time you decide to change rollers.

Ask me how to easily remove the clutch drum.:geek:

Then ask me how to clearance the drum spacer so the engine mounting bolts bolt on easier.:unsure:

Then ask me about machining the clutch drum spacer for a 46% increase in clutch surface area.:unsure:

Ask me how to easily remove the clutch drum.

Then ask me how to clearance the drum spacer so the engine mounting bolts bolt on easier.

Then ask me about machining the clutch drum spacer for a 46% increase in clutch surface area.

5-7 heaven your killing me ahhhhhhhhhhho_O

Ask me how to easily remove the clutch drum.

Then ask me how to clearance the drum spacer so the engine mounting bolts bolt on easier.

Then ask me about machining the clutch drum spacer for a 46% increase in clutch surface area.

5-7 heaven your killing me ahhhhhhhhhhho_O
Sorry 5-7 heaven but i've gotta agree with vegaspaddy here....it does get a bit :rolleyes:
Now that i've insulted u enough can u do me a big favor(Re,BMP's+GP460)
I won't be posting more about this here cos i'de feel like i was hijacking vegaspaddy's thread;is it possible for u to keep us all informed(via a new thread) on this build?
I'm sure other ppl are interested & i for 1 am thinking about following in your footsteps. :unsure:

vwgaspaddy, I'm sorry. I just get carried away sometimes.:cry:

The Staton kit is an excellent one. It is a quick and easy install out of the box.

Changing rollers just isn't quick...or easy.

Okay fetor56, I already started a thread in this section. I'll even try to post pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
ITS ALL GOOD,

dont worry about it, but if you had posted about the 460 again i would have been on the next plane to HAWAII......:sneaky: I wish !!!!

Whats great about the fourm is we can come here to look for ideas and help when we need it. 5-7 heaven you were just confirming my thoughts that i will need help to switch out the new roller before i start doing someting stupid and mess the whole thing up.

I am learning to know my limits and somethings are best left to experts thats why i buy the kits, easy bolt on and the easy tinkering if i choose !!!! (well the GEBE is anyway)

Its fun messing, and yes even we can feel like a 12 year old kid again messing around with our bikes and yes lots of pictures- pictures- pictures they help everyone like me try to understand what the h%&# you are talking about...

Happy Travels VP....:D

Back