Quick And Easy Staton

vegaspaddy

Local time
7:32 AM
compared to my other builds getting this engine up and running was pre-school level.

The Swchinn bike a discontinued walmart find, it was supposed to be $160 rung up at $89 when i got to checkout, unfortunately it was the last one otherwise i might have bought a few more.... I like it, nice ride and came with the two waterbottle mounts which my mongoose doesnt have...

The staton kit i bought of another member who had owned it a couple of weeks, sold it because he needed the funds for college, has the mits 43cc and a 1.25 roller installed.

The ease with you can put on these kits is outstanding, simple fittings and once secured solid.

I am going for a nice clean look on this bike , i replaced the seat for the $20 gel pack one and upgraded the rear tire to a specialized armadillo bomb proof, greenfield rear mount stand, but thats about it, light as possible and pleasant on the eye.

(My Gebe mongoose which i still am messing with, 6 months later, has too much unneccessary thingies .... )

I took for a quick ride and after riding around on my wifes trike with the 50cc engine i forgot what the raw power of the 2 stroke sounded like, lions roaring !!!! Mounted a bell wireless speedo but i think its a lemon kept cutting in and out, but without much effort i was probably cruising at 25, 30 full throttle, will pick up a new speedo tonight and see what this baby can do.

happy motoring vegas.....

Attachments

• tn_PICT0056.JPG
    tn_PICT0056.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 666
  • tn_PICT0057.JPG
    tn_PICT0057.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 488
  • tn_PICT0058.JPG
    tn_PICT0058.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 425
  • tn_PICT0060.JPG
    tn_PICT0060.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 378
  • tn_PICT0061.JPG
    tn_PICT0061.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 449
  • tn_PICT0062.JPG
    tn_PICT0062.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 500
nice VP, i think you scored the "simple" ticket on that one.

to make things easier, just take that wireless speedo back, they are all junk. on the other hand the wired 12 function unit is very reliable and cheaper.

i've just sarted to see pics of these Mitz. motors and am quite taken back with how huge they look compared to the GP460, must be the carb and exhaust covers o rsomething.

steve

thanks steve,

yea that bell wireless unit is going back to walmart tonight to be replaced by the $14 swchinn wired unit much more realible. Funny i have a wireless bell on the gebe mongoose and it works perfectly, but when i compared the two units they have changed the design funny eh!! The wireless was nice because its one less wire hanging around but now that they are unreliable not worth the extra $$$$.

The mits setup does look huge compared to my tanaka 33cc, but i think its because the casing pretty much shrouds the entire engine making it look big and bulky. It does look like a bit of a beast mounted on the back now that you mentioned it, but its as light as any of the other engines.

Nice Looking Bike !!! What a deal 89 bucks... I wonder if my walmart has one.
How do you like the friction drive it is as good as the GEBE ?? Thats what I want to do,build one of each, even a HT !!!
I got the schwinn speedo at walmart for $ 8.00 (wired) works great.

Hard to beat that type friction drive, if that fits your needs. Looks good & dependable, too.
Note:
Wireless speedometers DO work well, but not the cheaper ones, & not on many China times motors. [ electrical interference ] " CatEye " is a brand name to go with for better quality & reliability. You can catch these , wireless, on sale for around $29.

Last edited:
I have just about the same setup on my NEXT but with a 1.38in (or whatever the next size up from 1.25) roller. I'm impressed with its speed, low weight and how quiet she is until you start revving it to the extreme. I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do.

speed update.

Well after finishing the halloween decorations, my wife kept at me !!!!!

returned my bell wireless, was mad about that, the old one still works fine, why do they always have to go and change stuff around

put the new speedo on the bike and went for a quick blast down the street. I lied i was off about 5 mph on me, comfortable cruise 20mph and top speed of 25 mph.

Considering i dont intend spending much more money in anything on this bike i am happy with those speeds plenty quick enough for puttering around on.

Maybe next year i might splash out (or christmas present to myself) and go for a bigger roller but i dont really see the point. I have topped out my gebe at 34 mph with the 13 tooth gear i havnt even tried the 14 tooth which would push me up say an extra 5 mph, and theres no way i want to be going that speed on a push bike.

Although 20 mph doesnt sound that fast for most bikes its a very comfortable speed, you can cruise around on pretty relaxed, the faster the speed the more focused you have to be to your surroundings and the more it feels like a part of your bike is going to fly off at any moment AHH!!!!

Comparing to my gebe its hard, my poor gebe is like a transformer gone bad too much s..t, maybe i will strip half the junk off it and start enjoying my first baby again... heavy duty wheels, light systems, horns, etc.. etc...the bike weighs more than ME!!!!!

hi guys, i have ordered the 1.5 roller for my bike, would like just a little bit more top speed, so seriously is this going to be a nightmare to install.

If so i will drop it down at a local lawnmower repair and see if they can help me out,

i also ordered a new set of bearings just in case!!!!

vegaspaddy, I've had 1.125", 1.25", 1.375" and now 1.5" rollers on my Mitsubishi engines. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

It IS possible to change from small to large rollers yourself, IFFF they are 1.25" and smaller. What I did was drill two holes straddling the outbpoard bearing. After removing the circlips, you can use an automotive steering wheel puller to PUSH the entire assembly out. You can then use an automotive gear puller to remove off the bearings.

The clutch drum is a bear to remove without damaging it. Much simpler to buy a new drum, spacer and bearings instead of reusing the original parts.

Buy your bearings from ebay or another source than MB vendors. Mine cost $25 for 10 bearings. MB vendors price is $13/pair.

Of course the 1.5" roller cannot fit through the 1.375" bearing holes. Neither can the 1.375" spindle. The roller install from underneath and the bearings can be pressed/pounded on from the sides.

HINT: If you machine down the friction roller ends and the housing bearing holes a little, the bearings can be a SLIP-FIT and make it MUCH MUCH easier to remove and reinstall friction rollers.

Without the slip-fit on the rollers and the aluminum housing, a machinist's skills will be needed to remove the 1.375" or 1.5" rollers. (The machinist charged me $30 just to remove the roller from the housing.

Then I installed the 1.5" spindle myself.

Be prepared for aggressive pedalling and slow pickup when you install the large roller. With a single Mitsubishi engine and 1.5" roller, my top speed was about 34mph on the flats.

With TWO Mitsubishi engines with 1.5" rollers, top speed of 38.5mph on even ground.

And I'm also pedalling agressively for better low-end acceleration.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
hi heaven,

yeap i had read your about your ordeals on another thread and was expecting the worse...... sounds like a royal pain in the buttt

and all those automotive tools my heads spinning....

Back