/quick build/ front wheel friction drive [wip]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might know solex bikes, made in France from the 60's to 80's
IMG_5300.jpg
Motorised bikes are illegal in France, and I'm French, which is why my english sux I want to make a bike similar to a solex, to avoid da f***s widda police (most cops dont give a f about motorised bikes, but if one ever does im getting f'd in the as. people are very nostalgic about solex bikes so -> less problems). Also note that I have to work in my basement, since i live in a building; I'll have to keep the noise level as low as possible... I am not going to use the grinder too much though, I'll use the hacksaw and files instead for all the cutting. The build should be pretty quick overall; The structure will be made from square steel tube, ill just need to cut at the right length and weld it.
I am gonna make it from this bike:
IMG-20171002-WA0004.jpeg
I bought this bike used for 20 euros. I ordered a 1L pocket bike tank from aliexprress for 3 euros and something, and I also bought the chainsaw; got it for 55 euros from a woman who won it at a lottery but had no use for it. I already removed the useless bits from the saw, and added my "touch" to it - so not to mistake it for something that wouldn't go on a bike:D
IMG-20180104-WA0000.jpg IMG-20180104-WA0001.jpg IMG-20180104-WA0002.jpg IMG-20180104-WA0003.jpg
Today I started working on the spindle, which is gonna be made from scratch with warshers and steel tubing.
The goal is to have a bunch of washers welded together welded on a tube, secured on the engine's shaft. then just need to run the engine and grind the welds to make it nice and true.20180104_212053.jpg
I already welded them together not long ago. I might also cut some grooves in the spindle later on to get a better grip.
For the structure, I'll weld a tube thing with a hole in it on the back of the fork for the hinge; I have no real plan for the rest, but i just have to get the engine flat when on the wheel with the spindle and improvise, nothing too complicated. Again, there is not much to do so it should be a pretty quick build.

Attachments

• 20180104_212053.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Alright, done good progress on the spindle:
IMG-20180111-WA0012.jpeg
I rolled paper around my steel tube to make the washers center. i also welded a nut on the tube; I also used a file to make a little flat spot on the engine's shaft, a screw will secure the thing on there nicely.
IMG-20180111-WA0009.jpeg
looks f***in good, like done on a mill lol; here is the thing on the engine:
IMG-20180111-WA0014.jpeg
as you can see in the pictures, I have drilled and tapped holes on the engine to mount it on a piece of plywood. I'll keep the plywood on the build. I also started working on the steel parts:
20180111_075302.jpg
this is the hinge thing that will be welded on the fork. A threaded rod will run through it. I also started the structure, just made a T shape thing that is secured under the plywood:
IMG-20180111-WA0016.jpeg cant really see the T but here it is welded:
20180111_112156.jpg
the T just make the plywood more secure on the thing.
btw there is just the spindle holding the engine on the pic
looks pretty good already
I'll have to finish the spindle and work on the steel stuff

I thought the French like getting f'd in the ass?
Well anyway that looks pretty good, nice welds, maybe add a couple more beads to that spindle. I would suggest not making it look like you've got a ryobi chainsaw bolted to your front wheel if you don't want to attract attention. A pair of underwear in that color could be seen through 3 pairs of jeans.

I hope black spray paint isn't illegal in France. Only other suggestion would be to avoid directly welding to your fork too low below where the brakes meet the rim, I would make a support strut to bolt to the axle, perhaps a gusset and plate for bolting to at the bridge of the fork. If you are braking hard the wheel wants twist out of the fork and so that will find the weak or brittle spot on a weld quickly.. Add possibly having the engine engaged when braking and the wheel really doesn't want to be in the fork, if you give it the chance it's leaving.

Last edited:
hehe yes that green is cancer
I already bought a can of blacc paint
it will chip off from the PP plastic with any scratch but you know spray paint...
just a lil dab'll dooya

I welded the hinge thing on the fork and a piece of tube on the on the tube below the plywood so the engine is level when it is engaged on the wheel
IMG-20180111-WA0020.jpeg upload_2018-4-30_0-27-10.png
made a similar L shaped tube thing for the other side, and joined the two halves on the front, and it looks almost done already lol

20180111_142731.jpg

20180111_142703.jpg

also made a kill switch
upload_2018-4-30_0-51-18.png
next steps: welding the spindle, making a lock mechanism to keep the engine up, throttle lever and a spring to pull the engine down
I'm hoping for a test ride tomorrow :cool:

f*** it just welded the thing and went for a test ride no spring, no throttle just high idle

the weight unbalance is unnoticable it really is fine

cmon the tank is ziptied 2" from the tire the bar that allows me to push the thing down is held by a c clamp xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back