/quick build/ front wheel friction drive [wip]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might know solex bikes, made in France from the 60's to 80's
IMG_5300.jpg
Motorised bikes are illegal in France, and I'm French, which is why my english sux I want to make a bike similar to a solex, to avoid da f***s widda police (most cops dont give a f about motorised bikes, but if one ever does im getting f'd in the as. people are very nostalgic about solex bikes so -> less problems). Also note that I have to work in my basement, since i live in a building; I'll have to keep the noise level as low as possible... I am not going to use the grinder too much though, I'll use the hacksaw and files instead for all the cutting. The build should be pretty quick overall; The structure will be made from square steel tube, ill just need to cut at the right length and weld it.
I am gonna make it from this bike:
IMG-20171002-WA0004.jpeg
I bought this bike used for 20 euros. I ordered a 1L pocket bike tank from aliexprress for 3 euros and something, and I also bought the chainsaw; got it for 55 euros from a woman who won it at a lottery but had no use for it. I already removed the useless bits from the saw, and added my "touch" to it - so not to mistake it for something that wouldn't go on a bike:D
IMG-20180104-WA0000.jpg IMG-20180104-WA0001.jpg IMG-20180104-WA0002.jpg IMG-20180104-WA0003.jpg
Today I started working on the spindle, which is gonna be made from scratch with warshers and steel tubing.
The goal is to have a bunch of washers welded together welded on a tube, secured on the engine's shaft. then just need to run the engine and grind the welds to make it nice and true.20180104_212053.jpg
I already welded them together not long ago. I might also cut some grooves in the spindle later on to get a better grip.
For the structure, I'll weld a tube thing with a hole in it on the back of the fork for the hinge; I have no real plan for the rest, but i just have to get the engine flat when on the wheel with the spindle and improvise, nothing too complicated. Again, there is not much to do so it should be a pretty quick build.

Attachments

• 20180104_212053.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 229
Last edited:
If the bar was clamped with a zip-tie and the tank held in place with tape or some string then I'd be willing to call it borderline ghetto.

2 inches is nothing, there are people out there willing to hold the tank between their legs to keep it on the bike, which is easier when you don't have to pedal.

lol
a friend of mine used zipties to secure his bike kit's sprocket on his wheel
IMG-20161024-WA0015.jpg

this guy is ghetto as fucc
here is a build of his
the "swaggbike" aka "ghettoaf bike"
IMG-20160516-WA0001.jpg

Now things are starting to look as they should, except the green.. Maybe hit it with a dark red or golden tan, something an old person would be seen driving, perhaps the extra non-threatening color thing would work out. Just think late 70s era style station wagon brown. Maybe tidy it up with charming pinstriping like those found on one of these.
o_527e62beb13240fc1896793854dfba28.jpg

Nah...
Gonna go for the all black...
Just as i did for my first motorised bike ever:rolleyes:
20160810_204516.jpg

40cc friction drive, all made from plywood and threaded rod, washers and nuts.
this thing was a bomb... never had problems, maybe just a nut would be gone from vibrations sometimes... until ignition failed. Impossible to get a new one.

I think I'm gonna swap the bike kit exhaust for the stock chainsaw exhaust. It is a bit heavy, and does not fit very well the exhaust port, so I'm gonna need to mod it to make it quieter, and have a tube that shoots the gases on the ground so my pants dont smell like 2smoke. the bike is running pretty good otherwise. The spindle has a good grip! I started painting btw, i painted the plywood and the tube mount; also added some safety stuff but apart from the rear light it is fuccing up with vibrations... especially the mirror
upload_2018-5-2_7-1-20.png
IMG-20180123-WA0004.jpeg

xD assorted accessories
how about that ;)

Last edited:
Extremely slick, it's actually difficult to tell at a glance that it has an engine, that bottle of kool-aid really throws you off for a minute. Some light panniers might be a good addition, maybe even a small basket on top. Just disguise the hell out of it.

Haha I love my red 2stroke oil. Don't worry, I got a pocket bike tank coming soon
...or not?
China Post will decide...
A basket would be a cool addition; Or I could even have some plywood boards cercling the whole engine, it would maybe look like some kind of lug but you would not ever see the engine :cool:
talking about fruit crates here is a cool pic of my previous bike
IMG-20171015-WA0013.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha I love my red 2stroke oil. Don't worry, I got a pocket bike tank coming soon
...or not?
China Post will decide...
A basket would be a cool addition; Or I could even have some plywood boards cercling the whole engine, it would maybe look like some kind of lug but you would not ever see the engine :cool:
talking about fruit crates here is a cool pic of my previous bikeView attachment 81699
That's not bad, grab a few tomato crates and get sawing!

This is so awesome! A crazy French guy who loves saying f***, crazy bikes and speaks (types) better English than half the site.

Tomato crates? Meh... They are like 2mm 80 thou thin, and not quite tall enough to smuggle the engine. If I can make something like a plywood box that would be cool, also I could probably make it practical, like what if I make something to channel the airflow to isolate the rest of the box?Maybe even have some foam on the inside to reduce noise from the engine... If I make some kind of lid for the box it would be impossible to tell anyhow that there is an engine.
For now I'll just paint it black, that should be pretty good already
Haha yeah my English is great, I read, write and hear English every day but I never speak directly to anyone so when speaking I struggle finding the right words quick enough, my brain just isn't trained to talk
Btw I turned 18 in march

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back