Quick fork sizing question.

Local time
11:50 AM
I tried doing research on google but couldn't find an answer that eased my worried mind. I have a 1962 Schwinn frame I am bringing back to life and bringing into a new century. The bike is going to be the basis for my four stroke, and hopefully final project (for myself atleast). My friend did me a favor and measured the diameter of the tube that the fork sets in, I'm not entirely sure what it's called. You know, though, the tube on the frame where the stem and the fork set inside. Well, he told me it's 1 and 1/8". I want to replace the forks with something that has some suspension (pretty essential, I found, from my last build), and something that'll allow me to add a more powerful braking scheme. I found a fork for sale that has the little things for v-brakes to attach to, and a suspension. It's a triple tree style fork, and I think it could look pretty good if I paint the bottom to match my frame.

The website says that the tube is 1 1/8". Does this mean the fork will work? Or does a measured 1 1/8" tube on the frame need a 1" fork? Also, the fork in question has the typical mountain bike plastic accordian tube things which cover the hydraulic suspension. I want to cut those off make it less ugly, but I'm curious if they are strictly used to prevent dirt from getting into the suspension, or if they actually provide any resistance for suspension itself. Maybe I could cut them off and put some "vanity" springs to give it a more custom vintage look. Do those forks come apart so I could do that or am I stuck.

The forks can be seen at:

http://bikebuyers.com/PART-1S-002.htm

Don't forget too to check the height of the fork in relation to your bike frame. Too tall and your bearing nut won't tighten down. Too short and it won't reach.
Just by looking at the picture it looks like to me that those boots are strictly visuals but I could be WAY OUT in left field there.
I say as far as fitment goes pull that original fork,bring it in the house,sit down and call them folks and with a ruler give them the info on that old fork. Diameter,how far in those threads go,total lenght of the fork from bottom bearing to the top,and the measurement between the lower bearing and where the upper bearing nut stops. That way YOU KNOW you're getting a fork that will work.
Oh and while you're on the phone,ask them if they can do without the boot. Maybe they can and install a seal at no charge or something.
Then when your fork arrives,NO WORRIES!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget too to check the height of the fork in relation to your bike frame. Too tall and your bearing nut won't tighten down. Too short and it won't reach.
Just by looking at the picture it looks like to me that those boots are strictly visuals but I could be WAY OUT in left field there.

The measurements on the site are super vague. I may email them to see if they can give me a bit more before ordering, or at least figure out their return policy if it doesn't fit.

Great, they don't have a number on their website. I sent them an email asking for some additional measurements and asking about their return policy. I requested a phone number.

The dust covers or "boots" are just to keep the forks from getting scratched as they travel up and down. They look like great forks and the price seem Ok as well.
It may be just me but are you sure they will fit? I don't see how they will slide through your frame and I don't see threads for the large nut. Am i wrong? This seems like it would use a large pin/bolt to hold it in place. I wish you luck!

I was assuming the top horizontal member came off, allowing you to slide the fork into the frame. Like the black pieces on the top were threaded or something.

yea , I see your point and I guess that would work but I still don't see any threads, also
if you look closely you will see two holes at the top and two holes at the bottom.
On the other hand they do give you the 1 1/8 measurment with an arrow pointing at the part so I may be wrong. I guess you should ask them and see if you get any input from members here.

Well, to answer part of my question, I had Taylor measure my old fork and he determined that the old one is 1 and 1/8", so that is no longer an issue. The diameter of the fork will work, but I still need the other measurements before even trying to get this to work.

Lol...Well at least we "solved that one". I really liked that red bike with the cool frame on that site. I think it was the 26 mountan bike but I forget now. Anyways it was fun. See ya!

Last edited:
Back