Quick question on starting the engine

pablobendiksen

Local time
6:17 AM
Hey all. I'm still breaking in my new engine (only have used up a little over a gallon on it). Today I noticed (both times i engaged the engine) that when I release the clutch the engine took almost two seconds to start. How do I diagnose this situation?

-Pablo Bendiksen

A two second start time sounds pretty good to me for these engines.

1. Pedal faster! 2. Buy a motorcycle. 3. Visit a shrink - it's all in your head! Almost 2 seconds and you need a diagnosis? Maybe your plug is dirtier since you've ran almost a gallon of fuel with a heavy oil to gas ratio. Maybe your gas is staler than when you first started the engine. How long has the fuel been in the tank or when you first mixed it? Maybe your engine took longer to start because it is colder? Maybe...

Don't worry! If your still concerned, try gaping your spark plug between .022 and .028 to see if it makes a difference. Or better yet, you can always visit a shrink.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Today I noticed (both times i engaged the engine) that when I release the clutch the engine took almost two seconds to start.

Crikey, tell me how i can get my engine to start in 2 seconds.

Sometimes it takes me 2 minutes to start my engine, and other times even longer when there is no banging water in the fuel tank.

starting is always much harder with a single speed bike - is that what you have?

Back