quick question

1985 honda man

Local time
5:44 AM
i am building my own friction drive setup and wanted to know what size of roller(custom) that i am going to need. i have a 20" wheel. anything well help thanks

Hi -- with a 26" wheel I am using a 1" roller -- not that great in math -- how does that work out with a 20" wheel -- just a guess --- maybe a 3/4 in. ?? More speed with a 7/8 --- my top speed 23 mph --- my engine 35cc --- my weight 195 lbs.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

That depends on what engine you're using. Rollers usually run from 7/8" to 1 1/2", pretty much depends on the torque curve of the engine. Wheel diameter is irrelevant.

Those will work great for old skateboards but it will be a sorry drive roller. I'll look for your next post asking for help.

Think of something in a steel roller. Knurled steel works best but that may be a problem unless you have a lathe laying around. One member took his smooth roller and coated it with J. B. Weld mixed with sand. Might do a search and PM him.

Any size roller for a 26 inch wheel will give you the same speed even if you mount it on a 5 inch wheel. Wheel size doesn't matter here. 20 inch wheel go with whatever a 26 inch wheel would work on.

Back