Quieting the china girl with a second muffler

Wolfshoes

Local time
10:32 AM
If quieting the china girl is a performance mod, then this thread is in the right place. A second stock chrome type about $20 exhaust from ebay vendor rose326a was added to their mighty 66cc Grubee GT5 engine in series, not as a dual exhaust. As much as I would like more power, I would like even more for the motorbike to be quieter. This was achieved by using all stock pieces from a local Menards.

100_1801[1].JPG

100_1802[1].JPG

100_1804[1].JPG

If the stock muffler removes half the noise, adding a second muffler seems to remove half of the remaining noise. I am somewhat surprised to mention that have not noticed a drop in power, even riding up hill. The second muffler is installed inverted with the exhaust exiting to the side from a copper elbow. I expected this arrangement to be temporary, but exhausting to the side has not been noticeable when riding. I have been using 100 to 1 Opti-2 lubricant and there is no noticeable smoke. The lower fittings are stock 1/2" copper tube (as a bushing, thinner red label type) followed by a 1/2 to 3/4 elbow, followed by a street 3/4 elbow. The final exhaust is 1/2" copper tube (as a bushing) followed by a 1/2" elbow. A street 1/2" elbow would be better. The parts are not soldered together to resist vibration problems.

I am happy enough with the results to use this setup permanently.

In dinking around with exhaust in the past, a one way flap was made part of a silencer. At low RPMs it was apparent that the final exhaust was a two way street with air entering the exhaust pipe. This could be speculated as necessary for exhaust to reenter the motor. It further could be speculated that as a off setting benefit, the added set of muffler baffles resisted the backwards flow into the motor. This expansion chamber like effect could explain why there was no noticeable loss in performance using a second muffler on the two stroke.

Last edited:
If quieting the china girl is a performance mod, then this thread is in the right place. A second stock chrome type about $20 exhaust from Gasbike was added to their mighty 66cc race certified model engine in series, not as a dual exhaust. As much as I would like more power, I would like even more like the motorbike to be quieter. This was achieved by using all stock pieces from a local Menards.

View attachment 78147

View attachment 78148

View attachment 78149

If the stock muffler removes half the noise, adding a second muffler seems to remove half of the remaining noise. I am somewhat surprised to mention that have not noticed a drop in power, even riding up hill. The second muffler is used inverted with the exhaust exiting to the side from a copper elbow. I expected this arrangement to be temporary, but exhausting this was has not been noticeable when riding. I have been using 100 to 1 Opti-2 lubricant and there in no noticeable smoke. The lower fittings are stock 1/2 inch copper tube followed by a 1/2 to 3/4 elbow, followed by a street 3/4 elbow. The final exhaust is 1/2 inch copper tube followed by a 1/2 inch elbow. The parts are not soldered together.

I am happy enough with the results to use this setup permanently.
Got me thinking now, picked up some larger diameter exhaust tubing that just fits the stock BT exhaust. I wonder if stacking 2 of these inside that tube and sealing with epoxy to make it air tight. I'm not so much looking for performance I can achieve all that with gears and even a low power engine. The silence is something I'd prefer.

Something that might give you a bit of a problem over time, is 2-stroke oil accumulating at the bottom where the two copper elbows are, and eventually clogging it up.

I thought the stock exhaust note of the China girl was pretty quiet. The second silencer must make it quite stealthy.

Thanks i will try this. And as for the eldow getting dirty just clean it from time to time as we have to do anyways with the stock exhaust. Nice job!

I like doing things differently and I kinda like the look. But the stock exhaust is shaky to begin with from a dependability standpoint. You just doubled the weight of your exhaust and added failure points.

It would probably be better to simply add a lawnmower muffler to the end of one stock muffler.

Back