R.i.p 2000-2021 Golden Eagle Bike Engines (GEBE)

I broke 2 or 3 belts on a gebe with just a 35cc and its even worse with a 49cc 2 stroke. It would keep skipping and shredding the thin belts. A solid mount rack gearbox with chain drive is better since there is no significant tire wear. Staton chain drive is over $500 and its heavy. I reccomend a 5:1 gearbox with a custom bracket and chain drive also a good tensioner. I have one of the 5:1 gearboxes and might build something with it

I liked the GEBE kit , did a couple 400 mile touring trips ,me and my son , yep had some problems with belts wearing out, had to replace them after couple hundred miles but sure was a sweet ride . The wheel ,sprocket, alignment seem to be very very critical , touring equipment loads plus some ruff roads added to the vibrations that would throw thing out of wack. . all in all still had some good times . anyone know where to get sprockets ?

From what I recall you can buy aftermarket clutch bells-shaft and aluminum housings for Honda GX35's on Amazon. You're going to have to come up with some way to interface the Honda spec clutch shell with the little GEBE spec Gates belt pinions.

Frankly I had reservations about the GEBE's when I was looking into powering my green bike, GEBE's present clutch housings were plastic, and I had an old plastic housing from a used Gebe drive that was thrashed. I wanted an aluminum bell housing.

The wheel sheaves have issues if you're using 14 gauge spokes. Also will not work well with high flange and internal gearhubs.

Also their "racks" are just mild steel strapping and quite malleable, and a lot of times new owners have their belts shredded in less than 100 miles because the technique for fettling the belt alignment is less than ideal. Then there's a little steel strap to the seat stay bridge that has had ( in the past..) a tendency to break, causing the engine to swing backwards and pull the throttle on full. That's some pretty damning quality control issues, and it's all chronicled in this forum in the rack mount sub-forum.

There were lots of users who had issues with their kit, problems that should have been dealt with early on. I've ridden a really nicely maintained GEBE drive, it's magical and whisper quiet with a little 4 stroke, but the amount of maintenance and futzing about just drove me to making my own drive.

Why not just a decent 2 stage chain reduction? Use one of Bikeberry's 49 cc freewheeling chain drives. and a regular 410 chain sprocket on the back? that's a 75mm drum and chain reduction paired with a 10 to 44tooth sproket set for the rear wheel that's about 22:1 ratio. That's perfect for a 32 cc 2 stroke or Honda GX 4 stroke.
THANKS. I need whole clutch gx35 or can I convert somehow to chain. I'm a newbie and unclear on the question.

THANKS. I need whole clutch gx35 or can I convert somehow to chain. I'm a newbie and unclear on the question.
I'm not sure what you mean. The whole clutch?

GX series engines come with the clutch shoes already installed and should bolt up the bellhousing of either unit with little problems. You will have to make your own rack / mount for this. and you're on your own because there's dozens of different types of bikes and rear dropouts.

Check out the Rackmount forum in this forum or go to Motorbicycling.com and check out their D.I.Y. forum. Having some workspace, bench tools, nice big vice and a welder, and previous steel fabrication experience are recommended. This stuff is never easy.

Why would anyone want to take their baton, there's just so many problems and issues with these drives. I see a complete redesign to make it worth purchasing at their last price points. Frankly, the little Stanton friction drives are a better investment, and they still need some work.
I've owned and been riding a GEBE system for years without any problems. Their website was loaded with photos and reviews from hundreds of VERY satisfied customers. In all of your criticism, I don't think you know what you're talking about. No offense... But your comments don't match my extensive experience with the system. I realize you've got your favorite system but that doesn't make you an expert on the GEBE system.
- Update - I just checked my original GEBE purchase date and it was 2008... That's nearly 13 years of trouble free operation. Same belt the whole time. No problems the whole time until this year when I had to rebuild the carburetor and replace gas lines on the Tanaka PureFire 3300 (32 cc) engine. The belts are just timing belts so I bought a spare even though I'm still running the original belt on my bike. Parts for the engine I got from EReplacement Parts online. I don't expect the drive ring to wear out or break so I think my Golden Eagle Bicycle Engine (GEBE) should continue to give good service for at least the next few years.

Last edited:
Clutch drums should come in just 2 sizes for our use, vendors catering to MABs. 54mm and 76mm, the shaft is the difference. Staton sells only the clutch drum. Some of our cheaper MAB vendors sell just the clutch drum/shaft for the chinese kits. Just make sure it fits and is the right shaft length and diameter. GEBE was a good kit, shame they closed up.

Parts clutch bell ?? Mine needs one
dkkgunny56@gmail.com. lots of parts golden eagle

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned and been riding a GEBE system for years without any problems. Their website was loaded with photos and reviews from hundreds of VERY satisfied customers. In all of your criticism, I don't think you know what you're talking about. No offense... But your comments don't match my extensive experience with the system. I realize you've got your favorite system but that doesn't make you an expert on the GEBE system.
- Update - I just checked my original GEBE purchase date and it was 2008... That's nearly 13 years of trouble free operation. Same belt the whole time. No problems the whole time until this year when I had to rebuild the carburetor and replace gas lines on the Tanaka PureFire 3300 (32 cc) engine. The belts are just timing belts so I bought a spare even though I'm still running the original belt on my bike. Parts for the engine I got from EReplacement Parts online. I don't expect the drive ring to wear out or break so I think my Golden Eagle Bicycle Engine (GEBE) should continue to give good service for at least the next few years.
Go back through the owners reviews on this forum on the GEBE drives, There are many reports about extremely short belt life and the new plastic clutch drum warping from heat and use. I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm friends with Augie (Gone Fishin') one of the biggest GEBE promoters online of the GEBE system. He lives in Reedsport OR and I've visited and consulted with him quite often on the GEBE, and making my own DIY friction drive. This discussion is quite moot as GEBE has folded their business up. And where is anyone going to get replacement bits for their GEBE drive? How about the alloy clutch bell housing that wasn't available for years?

Yeah, you have an exemplary installation. But even on Augie's Motor Assisted Bicycle Forum there are numerous owners who had issues from the start. You are in a small minority of owners who've had luck with their drive system, and I've already described in great detail the myriad set-up issues a layman purchaser will encounter. A Stanton friction drive is far more reliable.

Thanks for the reference to Augie Deabler. Its a fun read. He certainly accomplished a lot with his Golden Eagle Bicycle Engine. I don't think you realize that your forum comments against the GEBE come across as awfully negative and disrespectful of a product that was well designed and highly popular... It played a serious role in the popularization of MAB. Certainly there have to be reasons why they closed up the GEBE business. But you don't have to say GEBE was crap to build up Staton. I've looked at Staton and they can stand on their own good quality.

Parts for existing GEBE owners: I think I found a link on this forum where I was able to order a spare belt. And, I was able to order repair parts for my Tanaka 3300 PureFire engine from E-Replacement Parts online. Other than that, I don't think there's much else we'll need to keep our GEBE MABs running.

P.S. Augie Deabler clocked his GEBE bike at 32 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Last night riding my Trek GEBE home from work, my speedometer clocked 31.7 mph... Not too shabby! :)

Thanks for the reference to Augie Deabler. Its a fun read. He certainly accomplished a lot with his Golden Eagle Bicycle Engine. I don't think you realize that your forum comments against the GEBE come across as awfully negative and disrespectful of a product that was well designed and highly popular... It played a serious role in the popularization of MAB. Certainly there have to be reasons why they closed up the GEBE business. But you don't have to say GEBE was crap to build up Stanton. I've looked at Stanton and they can stand on their own good quality.

Parts for existing GEBE owners: I think I found a link on this forum where I was able to order a spare belt. And, I was able to order repair parts for my Tanaka 3300 PureFire engine from E-Replacement Parts online. Other than that, I don't think there's much else we'll need to keep our GEBE MABs running.

P.S. Augie Deabler clocked his GEBE bike at 32 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Last night riding my Trek GEBE home from work, my speedometer clocked 31.7 mph... Not too shabby! :)
My comments about their product are colored by 30 years as a bicycle mechanic and working in a tandem and folding bike frame building business. I also have built over a thousand hand-built bike wheels from my time as a mechanic. I know wheels and the
GEBE kit comes set up for 14 gauge spokes. (yes I know they recommend 13 gauge spokes and they once sold better wheels..) After buying the product having the sheave lose it's concentricity as it wears is a big issue as far as I'm concerned.

BTW If you are in touch with Augie ask him how well this friction drive bike climbs hills....

First off: Their sheave will only fit a certain size and type of rear wheel for any length of time with 14 gauge spokes. They absolutely need to be installed on a low flange, 3 cross wheel. I tried one of Augie's used sheaves on a wheel laced 4 cross to Sturmey Archer drum brake and Sachs gear hub, also laced 4 cross and the slots will not work. they also won't work on a high-flange derailleur hub. No-way, not without cutting new slots or recasting the entire drive sheave. These sheaves are best set up on a low-flange hub with 3 cross in 13 gauge spokes. That means buying (or building) an expensive new wheel.

How old is the bike? 5 speed spacing? or cassette 7? Then there's the axle issues. You aren't likely to find many replacement MTB rear wheels in nutted axles, the rack strap mounting to the axle, *absolutely* needs to be nutted. There's a lot of fiddly fettling once the sheave is snapped into place and you mount the motor on the "rack". You need to loosen the engine mounting bolts and align the upper pulley with the lower...

And if you are familiar with Gates' specifics on their gear belt installations, there is a high level of pinion to driven sheave axle alignment accuracy that can go sideways, if the wheel slips in the dropouts, or the rack gets a significant sideways or one sided blow from falling over or glancing off some object. Then there's the need to fix a flat on the ride, best to patch without removing the wheel. Try finding a bike shop willing to work on a bike that is so incredible fussy about their sheave alignments?

These are great drive systems for very anally precise people, the rest of the average owners are going to have their belt shedding Kevlar threads and failing after 300 miles. At $60 a pop for a belt, that's not good economics, and it was the most common complaint about the GEBE system, time and time again. Go through this forum and Motored Bicycles' forum about GEBE drives.

Yes I agree, they're fantastic when really well set up. They don't tolerate much of normal wear/tear and use without carefully realigning the sheaves. There was one forum member on Augie's from Massachusetts who had chronicled his experience with his GEBE drive, he was pretty carefull with his install and loved his GEBE drive, when it worked. It eventually ate 3 belts in his time with it, despite being really careful about his making sure the sheaves were tracking the belt so it didn't rub the side of the upper sheave, which is where most of these drives fail. That's expecting a lot from a 1.25"X 3/16" mild steel strap with no diagonal bracing and a little 5/8" x 1/8" brace to the seatstay bridge. That sometimes failed.

So we'll disagree, I cannot recommend them, the market has spoken on their product and unfortunately they could have done more to improve their system. Their rack mount was crude and needed further refinement. I'm of the opinion that even a decent Blackburn touring rack would have been a better mount. Yeah some people were happy with their GEBE drives, but there also were a lot of people who complained and got very little after sales support and assistance.

Phone went from ringing to just off. No return calls. Removed their 20 year old VM greeting.

Out of stock parts

Now the website is gone.

RIP 2000-2021 Golden Eagle Bike Engines.

Anyone know where i can get a replacement GEBE clutch drum ? The newer one, black with the clutch drum mounted inside for the bigger 41cc engines and up? Thats all i need to get back online, otherwise?

I may go for a Staton friction drive. Thoughts?

Back