Race Rules....

A

andyinchville1

HI All,

I am thinking of organizing a race of motorized bicycles here in Charlottesville (This could be applied anywhere though) but thought it might be a good idea to see what some peoples ideas are as far as rules would be concerned.....Maybe we could form some sort of organization for the racing of our motorized bikes.....Kinda like NASCAR is to stock car racing....Any ideas?...Here are a few of my ideas to get it started....

1) Have 2 classes Street Legal (less than 50 CC class) and Stealth class (70
CC and under). Maybe a stock and modified class too withing each
category.

2) Have a weight limit on the bike of say 50 lbs (discourages somebody from
taking a small motorcycle and putting pedals on it and calling it a motorized
bike).

3) To keep costs reasonable, Have a claim system where the winning bike
has to sell their engine for $500 (or some other price) if somebody wants
to buy it (this would discourage all out big $$ entries from dominating the
field)....(they sometimes do this in RC car racing to keep things lower
budget....Of course we could also have an unlimited class to really push
the state of the art even higher)

4) Of course all bikes should be roadworthy and safe.

Any other Ideas?....

Andrew

HI All,

I am thinking of organizing a race of motorized bicycles here in Charlottesville (This could be applied anywhere though) but thought it might be a good idea to see what some peoples ideas are as far as rules would be concerned.....Maybe we could form some sort of organization for the racing of our motorized bikes.....Kinda like NASCAR is to stock car racing....Any ideas?...Here are a few of my ideas to get it started....

1) Have 2 classes Street Legal (less than 50 CC class) and Stealth class (70
CC and under). Maybe a stock and modified class too withing each
category.

2) Have a weight limit on the bike of say 50 lbs (discourages somebody from
taking a small motorcycle and putting pedals on it and calling it a motorized
bike).

3) To keep costs reasonable, Have a claim system where the winning bike
has to sell their engine for $500 (or some other price) if somebody wants
to buy it (this would discourage all out big $$ entries from dominating the
field)....(they sometimes do this in RC car racing to keep things lower
budget....Of course we could also have an unlimited class to really push
the state of the art even higher)

4) Of course all bikes should be roadworthy and safe.

Any other Ideas?....

Andrew

ever watch pink,s.i just mod my bike cause im trying to keep up to all the non 270ib riders.it,s a good idea to port the intake and exhaust,add a boost bottel,and do some cylinder porting the off the line it will **** but from 20km to 50km it will fly.with a 44 tooth.the best would be if these baby,s would scream then put a 50 tooth on it and get 12% more pulling force aswell as more voulumetric effecticy from the higher rpm{raming effect}.but that,s all realitive to the strengh of the other parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Racing Motor Bicycles?

Hi, I've got a guy out here that wants to fill a Whizzer with Nitro, on a special bike, and do exibitions at the drags that he runs a Nitro car at. I'm not sure what I think of his idea. I have not figured out if this would be positive advertising, or negative. I get the feeling he wants me to "sponsor" this operation.

At the Whiz-in we ride a bunch of bikes, nearly a hundred. We have a poker run, and a couple of pickups with trailers in case bikes don't make it (one year 15 didn't make it, including my wifes bike, which the pipe vibrated off). We ran 66 miles that day, and instead of an organized race, there was a lot of jockying in and out of the pack. Slowest bikes should start in the very front, as they will be getting there last, and it cuts down waiting for them.

The poker run gives 4 stops for cards and to regroup which is always good. We returned for a BBQ to help benifit the club for the expenses of renting the facility, providing water, soda, cookies etc, on the ride. The poker hands were done in a clever way, in that they made a "wheel of fortune" with a bicycle wheel, and wherever it stopped, the pointer told what card, and they merely wrote it down on your lil scorecard.

If you are not returning for a BBQ then a lunch stop is an easy thing to plan in most towns.

If you start having "engine claiming" you may run into a situation with hard feelings. Most of the motorbicycle owners I know, are older guys, and in many cases have a lot of time and work, and sometimes money in thier bikes, and would not want to participate in that form of a gamble. I can guaretee you, even tho I would like to race some, and do run hard in the pack, I would not ever run in an engine claiming race.

Mike

Give the race 3 aspects. Speed, time and fuel consumption. The one traveling the fastest in the shortest time using the least fuel would be the winner. Each classification would have 10 points. 30 points being the highest score. This would even out those who have incentives to, shall we say stack the deck in their favor. You could be the fastest and still not win the race based on the other two requirements.
JMHO:D

HI,

Good ideas.....Yes, I was a little leery of the engine claiming idea too (What are you trying to hide? heh heh ;-)....I guess I wouldn't want to sell my secret weapon either!) but was just trying to make some rules to keep racing fair and reasonably affordable...

As far as having the 3 aspects to balance out the race, that does seem like a good idea....I had a similar similar idea but to make sure the motorized bike is still essentially a bicycle I thought about adding a human powered only aspect to the race...That is maybe Race using the engine for a certain distance then have a portion of the race under strictly human power...

Andrew

One thing you could do is be sure everybody starts with the same amount of fuel and travels the same course. This would give each the option to use more petal power or fuel when they though it necessary. The ones using more fuel would go faster but would not travel as far. Make it a 1/2 hour race. THe one traveling the furtherest, the fastest using the least fuel wins.

Good idea bigK....I was thinking along those lines today too while mowing....Of course we'd have to figure what a fair amount of fuel would be....I suppose to make it interesting may have to fuel on the low side to stress a little economy....of course with the mileage these bikes get we may have to allocate fuel by the ounce!

Andrew

I remember Cookie saying she offered to race a harley, for distance...each starting with only 1 cup of fuel.

Back