Racing CDI installation help!

MAFirst4

Local time
6:30 AM
Hey I was wondering if anyone has used this CDI on their 66cc bikes before? If so any help on wiring it up or any pics of your setup would be appreciated or links to the wiring diagram! Can't seem to get the wires in the right place from the Magneto to the Cdi to the coil to the kill switch.......Here is what I have, got em for 20 bucks so figured it's worth a shot....

CDI

image.jpg
Coil
image.jpg

No. Just supplies a little more juice. Allows for higher rpm. I would like to get an adjustable one but don't have the cash right now so figured I'd give this a try....

I think that CDI requires a trigger pulse, unlike the Grubee CDI which just needs the two wires from the stator coil.

that is the CDI unit from a pitbike, a lifan, a... anything small, fourstroked and with a seperate trigger coil. they also make no difference to the performance of said engines, and if anything...are delicate and easily FRIED. i particularly like how the label has some type of curve, one axis labelled in PS (basically horsepower but more german) and the other axis is in KM/h! which has nothing (other than gear ratios) to do with engine speed!

an advance curve is measured as degrees from TDC over RPM.(top dead center, revolutions per minute)

whats a trigger pulse?

well... in a CDI system, theres two coils, one produces a large voltage, which is used to charge a capacitor (the C from CDI...capacitor discharge ignition)

the second, small coil is located in the right place in regards to TDC. once the capacitor is charged, when this small coil produces its low voltage, the capacitor is dicharged through the (ignition) coil, producing a spark.

a HT CDI is fundamentally the same, but uses only one coil... it produces AC electricity. the capacitor is charged on, say, the POSITIVE cycle, and is discharged as the voltage on the NEGATIVE cycle reaches a certain threshold.

most "performance" cdi units for the HT simply alter the trigger voltage on the negative cycle, that can be used to change the advance curves, by using what are called CR delay circuits, or... a capacitor and a resistor. the resistor affects how fast the capacitor charges up. (this is NOT the main discharge capacitor, mind you!). this can "delay" the trigger point, which creates RETARDED spark. the standard HT cdi keeps ADVANCING, and 2 strokes dont like that much, requiring at a certain point...retarding of the spark.

ha ha, retard :rolleyes: :giggle:

no, you CANT redesign the CDI unit you have pictured. sorry :(

and...looking at the one you pictured... it looks like the type intended for the IRK kits... useless freakin things that just make you lose torque and get nasty kickback when starting them...

Alright so throw this bad boy out! Im ordering a real adjustable American made Cdi for 66cc engines. Pricey but ain't no going back now! Gonna go with the one designed by huffydavison. Heard good things. Thanks for all your help guys!

that is the CDI unit from a pitbike, a lifan, a... anything small, fourstroked and with a seperate trigger coil. they also make no difference to the performance of said engines, and if anything...are delicate and easily FRIED. i particularly like how the label has some type of curve, one axis labelled in PS (basically horsepower but more german) and the other axis is in KM/h! which has nothing (other than gear ratios) to do with engine speed! :(
Even worse is this CDI is for the honda crf/xr50 clones, which usually have a multi gear transmission! They couldn't have put any less effort into that graph!

Back