Rack em up

Nice deal man. I dig your bike too, that thing has all kindsa character, screaming for a chrome spring saddle tho :p

I could be biased. I've seen nice black spring saddles.

I got a legless beam rack used and added legs so I definitely approve. :)
Legless beam racks are useless over about 10kg and I wouldn't trust one with more than about ten pounds in it. The weld at the seat post clamp takes all the strain and it is too narrow to do so. So legs make a huge difference.

I don't actually believe that weight capacity is true IRL since even the decent legged racks never have any lateral diagonal bracing. On the real road they all flex side to side and eventually that movement causes them to break.
The alternative is to make it weigh far too much though, so I'll take the eventual broken stay, cope with it wherever it happens by shifting the load around the bike, and then just replace the broken part at home.

If there is any room for a diagonal brace above the tyre, it would IMHO be a good idea to add one.

Here’s mine. It has 2 20” bike tires bolted to angle iron w/ holes drilled in it. Without the angle the wood would Bend and the holes would wear away/loosen.but the frame is 2x3 for light weight. It pulled a 250 harborfreight 4x6 metal band saw 12 miles to my house up down hills!!! Cost 10 dollars to make; top shows bandsaw bottom shows trailer with it on.

Attachments

• BEC20A66-8FE2-4C7F-BD0A-B164D5647EE1.png
    BEC20A66-8FE2-4C7F-BD0A-B164D5647EE1.png
    1 MB · Views: 138
im digging the rack itself not so much the 9$ clearance panniers from wally world lmao they like to try and swing item if heavy into the back rim around corners so they need either strapping or i want solid side compartments of some sort hmmmmm modified travel luggage bags the good ones all waterproof with powerbankss and s**t lmao that snap on if you feel me maybe use em as snap on rooling tool chests for highly mobile repairs think if dewalt or snapon tool chests had sex with this bbikes compartments and had a babyy that worked on airplanes lol

Attachments

• 1430_web.jpg
    1430_web.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Yeah, surplus ammo crates and the like work good for hardcase storage, too. Just about any storage container can be made to work, from the classic milk crate to fancy Halliburton cases.

I saw one website where a guy was building all kinds of stuff from old political signs, that Coroplast corrugated plastic. He made a bicycle camper out of Coroplast and zipties, with storage drawers and everything with it, could easily also make a cheap "hard" case for a bike rack with it.

here it is: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/diy-coroplast-bicycle-camper/

If I built one of these it would be awesome!!!! I would use a metal frame of some sort though for longevity. Never tried welding, so it would be bolt together.

Back