Rack-mount, belt-drive, new build

Thanks Lou, great suggestion! Although its quite convenient to compression start the engine with the current setup, that would be a nice addition. Then the rider can keep their hands on the handlebars and not have to throw the clutch lever every time they need to stop and start. And it'd be a smoother transition to powered riding. I'll keep my eyes open.

I've seen them for about $50 new, for max-torque clutches. They have a 3.2 inch pulley O.D., which, I believe is a 3 inch pitch for type A (4L) 1/2 inch belts... Occasionally, they pop up on ebay, used, for less.

Last edited:
Stainless Steel bomb?

I hate to be the one with bad news, Is that bottle rated for fuel?? If not, you may want to buy a MSR fuel container that IS rated for carrying flammable liquids. Safety First

Don't think so...

...there isn't anything on the bottle stating either way. But I like the idea. Do you know if the MSR bottles ar similar in diameter, such that they'd fit in the drink holder?

i can see youve put a lot of thought and work into this bike.

the only thing i dont like is the weight of the engine and its also to big to be legal and to easy to spot.hows the belt slippage in the rain?

eastwood04

Thanks for checking it out, I appreciate the compliment. Regarding the concerns you raised:

1) Engine weight - The engine is forward enough on the rack that its mass blends in with my own so I don't notice it much. But that wasn't the case originally (see the post on my blog dated Tuesday, September 14, 2010 called "Building the Rack, Phase 2" http://enginepoweredbikes.blogspot.com/). It's amazing how moving it forward a few inches made such a big difference.

2) Engine size, legality and visibility - No question that this engine is bigger than a 49cc and more obvious. In the community where I live, I have driven past law enforcement on two occasions. As I approach them, I shut down the engine and simply pedal past them. I don't know if I'm legal or not, or if they care, but I make an effort to use discretion when I know they are around.

3) Belt slippage in the rain - I'm a fair weather recreational rider so I haven't ridden in the rain. But the belt was slipping even in dry conditions before I put the no-slip tape on the driven pulley. Now it's much better. Would it help in wet conditions? I think so but it's untested.

A useful addition for the spare fuel bottle - The UCO Fuel Faucet...

wisementrading.com said:
They conveniently combine a fuel bottle cap with a pour spout. They fit MSR, SIGG and most other threaded aluminum fuel bottles. Pouring is neat and efficient eliminating messy spills, and the need to carry along a funnel. Simply turn the top to open the spout. The finger airhole allows you to adjust the fuel flow.

wisementrading.com

I've got one, and it works exactly as advertised. Literally, when pouring, you put your finger over the air hole, and fuel flow stops. Lift your finger, and it starts again.

Attachments

• 31sZdETmSPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31sZdETmSPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 859
  • 082500lg.jpg
    082500lg.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 487
  • ucofuelfaucetpourspout_2.jpg
    ucofuelfaucetpourspout_2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back