Rack mount happy time??

fastboy9

Local time
8:21 AM
Just saw this on Z-Box's innovations page and thought it was great! Its a happy time engine mounted on a rack turning a chain to the sprocket. A very cheap GEBE alternative for full suspension. It is the second article of the page:
http://zbox.com.au/innovations.htm

Some of these innovations are ingenius! we need more ozzies in this forum!!

Fastboy

Just saw this on Z-Box's innovations page and thought it was great! Its a happy time engine mounted on a rack turning a chain to the sprocket. A very cheap GEBE alternative for full suspension. It is the second article of the page:
http://zbox.com.au/innovations.htm

Some of these innovations are ingenius! we need more ozzies in this forum!!

Fastboy

I saw that too, only thing I would change is to have the cylinder round the other way so the carby at the front and exhaust to the rear, thay way the carb is protected a little more and the intake doesnt get a mouthful of 2 stroke fumes (primative form of EGR lol) ... now all I need is a kit to fit the wawu.eu V-12 in a micargi GTS frame and I will be a happy girlie, that or the 14-radial

Have you seen the 48 cylinder motorbike on youtube?.....

Incidentally, when are you up in colchester next? - bring your bike :)

Jemma xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Cor yeah that fuel tank could end up nasty in a crash. I thought that would be the first thing to do on the engine as well turning it around, hmm maybe he had some other problem. That would be awesome riding with somebody else!! I dont see how you get away with riding yours though, I have to be super stealthy, like at night and on back roads! Probably just because I'm young i suppose. I think the arrangemtn of the bike has a lot to do with it too. First sight you think mine is trying to be like a motorbike, when a rack mount makes you think its just a motorized bicycle.

This could be the solution to me getting a Happy Time engine onto a ladies frame. Riding a bicycle in a long skirt is how it has to be for me due to my religious beliefs on modest dressing and I've been driving myself nuts with trying to get my new Gen II HT into a frame, - any frame that will suit me!
I think I can do better with that gas tank positioning though. Something tells me that I would be better off with a cylindrical tank mounted just above the carby.
Jemma, - I really like your suggestion about turning the cylinder barrel around. I don't like that long bent intake manifold he's using at all and the exhaust is perfectly placed for burning a hole in my skirt. Though it looks like he's already had something get melted all over the muffler - I wonder what it was? :confused:

Yes that was my concern too. I don't quite understand why he did it like that :confused:

This could be the solution to me getting a Happy Time engine onto a ladies frame. Riding a bicycle in a long skirt is how it has to be for me due to my religious beliefs on modest dressing and I've been driving myself nuts with trying to get my new Gen II HT into a frame, - any frame that will suit me!
I think I can do better with that gas tank positioning though. Something tells me that I would be better off with a cylindrical tank mounted just above the carby.
Jemma, - I really like your suggestion about turning the cylinder barrel around. I don't like that long bent intake manifold he's using at all and the exhaust is perfectly placed for burning a hole in my skirt. Though it looks like he's already had something get melted all over the muffler - I wonder what it was? :confused:

I've never really had a thing for long skirts lol - but it strikes me that anything abaft of the seat post and at a nice 70-80 degrees plus is gonna need some sort of shield about it or we might be looking at a skirt fire :???:

There is another suggestion I have though

Why not make up a mounting for a HT with the cylinder pointing downwards alongside the front wheel - driving to a 3/5 speed hub transmission on the front wheel. that way you stand a lot less risk of getting KFC'd or spoiling clothing and with a exhaust extension run down the side of the fork you wont get oily smelling either. you could even do it with the cylinder head facing away from you with the carb and exhaust traversly across the bike - the latter extended as required and the fuel piped from the usual frame tank

Just an idea

Jemma xx

I'm having down time, awaiting drive assembly for my rackmount.

Sooo, I remounted the friction drive kit onto the bike, minus engine and spindle. Next, I found one of my Happy Time engines and perched it atop the friction kit's frame. Since the motor was bolted onto an OCC bike engine mount, it sat perfectly level. Four bolts would secure the OCC mount onto the friction drive frame, then a 1" by 6" slit in the frame would allow the chain to connect to the 36t rear sprocket. The two rear support rods in the Staton kit would provide chain adjustment. The chain would ride inside the aluminum frame, and a goped 1.5L tank easily mounts on the right, just below the HT engine mount.

Everything looks good, right?

No. Even though the HT muffler could be tweaked to clear everything, the exhaust is too close to the seat. There is no room for a shield unless you shift the HT engine rearward. Four inches from seat to sparkplug is a good start. However, there is a very sharp angle between drive and driven sprockets when rackmounting an HT . The perfect angle is when the engine sits in front of the seat. When you shift this engine rearward, the bottom half of the HT sprocket cover needs amputating, which affects support for clutch operation and drive sprocket .

With four inches between the seat and sparkplug, the magneto cover also gets hacked away to clear the chain. One rear support rod interferes with the chain, so both rods need to relocate forward. The HT front engine mount boss is now directly above the rear axle. The Staton housing needs to be extended three inches, or an engine mount 5.5" by 12" needs fabbing.

That's why the guy who mounted the HT used a sharp angle to keep from cutting away too much of the sprocket support/cover.

For people wanting to reverse mount the HT, you can run a jackshaft where the friction roller assembly is mounted. This will transfer the HT power back to the left side. However...

When you reverse the engine, you also change the engine direction.Since the jackshaft now spins clockwise on the left side, how are you going to reverse it? Adding more jackshafts on either side won't solve the problem. Only meshed gears will reverse the spin of the jackshaft sprocket.

If you connect the chain, the HT would spin backwards while the bike rolls forward.

It might be done easier if the HT had a centrifugal clutch and pull start. Or maybe if a 1:1 jackshaft is installed 45 degrees to the engine's rear.

5-7

Last edited by a moderator:
Back