Rack-Mounting An Airplane Engine

Propelling my bike?

I thought about it, but I KNOW the local police would DEFINITELY pull me over, even with a full screen/cage surrounding the prop.

photo of simular motor off bike

This photo is from a monarch scooter on ebay for another 1hr or so. Check out the finned flywheel could cool down motor some another idea a fan like on a old corvair need to be smaller though like one on a larger 480 motor they are made of plastic and aluminum now. Im just full of idea's there not always right though. At least I think my boss said ideas. I am editing this information in also the cast aluminum fan blade is balanced and blows back like what you would need but for about roughly 1800 rpms not sure about up to 7 or 8k Dane

Attachments

• finned flywheel for net.jpg
    finned flywheel for net.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought someone was going to try to mount something like a Rotax engine or a 65hp Continental from a Piper Cub. Then I started thinking that someone was going to try a radial (like the bike in the attached photo). But I see it's an RC engine. Being a boxer design, I wonder if the resulting bike would end up sounding like an old VW Beetle?

Attachments

• oshkosh-hot-1.jpg
    oshkosh-hot-1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 262
Trust me, if I could install a DA100 or a 3W engine on my bike, I would in a hearbeat. This would be one Id consider if I could afford to get a custom head milled with extra cooling fins. http://www.brisonrcengines.com/bri3u.htm The crankcase is tapped for smoke. Can you imagine smoking out those pesky cagers :)

Trust me, if I could install a DA100 or a 3W engine on my bike, I would in a hearbeat. This would be one Id consider if I could afford to get a custom head milled with extra cooling fins. http://www.brisonrcengines.com/bri3u.htm The crankcase is tapped for smoke. Can you imagine smoking out those pesky cagers :)

I know nothing about plane engines. I take it none of them are liquid cooled? Just the cooling from the prop?

Also Kilroy... that bike photo is insane! Thanks

Better find out first what Fuel it uses.
I was big time into r/c years ago, and I used Model fuel called Missle Mist It had 15-20% Nitromethane. Stuff cost $ 30.00 a gallon back in the Late 70's.
R/c engines in general use castor oil based fuel for Lubercation.

rc motor

I read the motor breaks in on gas then sinthetic after that not sure what is meant by sinthectic don't think I would want to sit a strattle of nitromethane like the one quy said take a lot of beer to get that fire out. Kilroy that 40hp rotax bike talk about a crotch rocket Whizzer,also that is a wild ride with the rotary engine I copied the photo to take to work to show the guys.. Dane

The larger engines run on gasoline as it would be too expensive to run it on nitromethanol fuel.

Most of the gas model airplane engines run on 50:1 after break in. I don't know of any liquid cooled engines. Most airplane engines are aircooled and same applies for model engines.

Cooling comes from prop airflow and airflow of plane's movement forward pushing air into cowling. Cooling is a big time issue. I saw a competitive builder/flyer loose a 24 month project plane that he was invited to fly in a special international competition. He has 12k into it and his engine overheated on its maiden flight. My wife quit going to the rc field with me after she witnessed the crash and saw the grown man cry.

Last edited:
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought someone was going to try to mount something like a Rotax engine or a 65hp Continental from a Piper Cub. Then I started thinking that someone was going to try a radial (like the bike in the attached photo). But I see it's an RC engine. Being a boxer design, I wonder if the resulting bike would end up sounding like an old VW Beetle?
Wow - better hope that rotary engine never throws a rod...! :cry: You might end up with an unintended vascectomy.

Back