RadCity stepthrough city bike opinions

JunkyardDog

Local time
1:12 AM
Anybody have any opinions on this bike? https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radcity-step-thru I am disabled and CANNOT PEDAL. I was an auto mechanic for 36 years, and can build just about any kind of gas powered bike. But I know nothing about electric vehicles. I cannot build my own, and do9n't plan to waste a bunch of time and money trying. I want to ride where gas powered bikes are not allowed. I know it is expensive, but if it is a decent bike, I will find a way to afford it.

looks like it could be what you need?
you may be able to find one cheaper if you buy used.

Just a few to look through.

Good luck :)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If you can not pedal, i would not recommend a pedal bike. I've never heard of an auto mechanic scared of electric motors and batteries. Which jiffy lube did you work at?

You could also take a look at the Rad Mini; its a geared hub motor and provides 2x the torque (80Nm). It also has smaller wheels meaning more efficiency due to optimal wheel size. Can also fit in your car easily too. Their mini folding bikes are really just regular bike size from what I've seen. Take a look.

If you can not pedal, i would not recommend a pedal bike. I've never heard of an auto mechanic scared of electric motors and batteries. Which jiffy lube did you work at?

I am not only an auto mechanic (36 years experience, now disabled and retired) I am also an engine builder, hot rodder, and drag racer. I have built 3 complete race cars, except for the transmissions and differentials. I don't do gears. That is a very specialized trade. I have no problem with lead/acid batteries and 6/12V electrics of any kind. I have done a lot of automotive wiring. What I am NOT into is computerized stuff, lithium batteries, chargers, controllers, etc. Sure I can buy a motor and a lead acid battery and put it on a bike. But it would have a very short range, and be very heavy. I have read posts on this forum where someone destroyed several hundred $$$ worth of LiPo batteries from not charging them right. I want a very efficient bike, where all the design work has already been done, and everything functions the way it should. Modern ebikes have more in common with a smartphone than a car (an ICE car, not a Tesla) I don't even know how to use a smartphone, and have no interest in learning. I use a '90s style flip phone that does nothing but make and receive voice phone calls. As for a pedal bike, in my state, it is not considered a bicycle unless it has functional pedals. Just because it has pedals does not mean you have to use them. Does that answer your question?

Last edited:
You could also take a look at the Rad Mini; its a geared hub motor and provides 2x the torque (80Nm). It also has smaller wheels meaning more efficiency due to optimal wheel size. Can also fit in your car easily too. Their mini folding bikes are really just regular bike size from what I've seen. Take a look.

I can see a purpose for such a bike, but I prefer something that looks more like a traditional bike. I am 6' 240. I want this bike to ride on a very long bike path that runs along beside a canal. I used to ride my mountain bike there back when I could pedal. It was all gravel and dirt back then. They have now paved over 15 miles of it. It is not only a bike path, people use it for jogging, walking dogs, pushing baby strollers, etc. I would not likely be riding more than 7 or 8 mph. This is not a race track. The spandex crowd does not ride on it. It is a place to go for a nice long leisurely ride.

The Rad City is a direct drive motor.
You might be better off with the geared motor Rad bikes.
My gf has had 2 Rad Rovers since they came out on Indiegogo. Sold the earlier model then bought the new model.
They are a great company to deal with as they replaced a bent disc rotor and a broken kick stand.

Check out their new cheaper geared $1300 model https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrunner-electric-utility-bike

Back