Rag clamp install

javelina1

Local time
11:27 AM
anyone have a detailed picture, showing their rag clamp installation? I see in the picture sections, all the beautiful bike shots, but nothing close up on the rag clamp, showing details.

From this shot, I can see how the spacer and the half moon backing plates are installed. My question is: http://www.thatsdax.com/INSTALL_INSTRUCTIONS.html

How does the sprocket mount? congave up facing the outside? or congave in, facing the spokes?

How do the 5 hole & 4 hole moon backing plates fit on the opposite side? spacer next to the spokes, then the moon backing plate, and then the sprocket? Or spacer next to the spokes, sprocket, and then the moon backing plate?

tia,

-jav

How does the sprocket mount? congave up facing the outside? or congave in, facing the spokes?
-jav
there is no right way
you face the sprocket the way that gives you a straight chain line and clears your tire or frame
IT GOES
sprocket
rubber
SPOKES
rubber (cut to fit on inside)
5 hole & 4 hole moon backing plates
nuts and washers

mbferret gave you good advice!

Whatever gives the straightest chain line. You by no means want that chain comming off while you ride!

I have never got it on the first try...
every wheel seems to be different, some dish in, some out

makes sense, thanks for the help. I understand the whole chain line alignment. I did the old eyeball alignment, (before torqing down). and it looks like I need to go with the sprocket "bowl" facing in towards the spokes.

I'm hoping to fire up this bad boy this weekend.

The rag clamp install on my bike....

Attachments

• b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 245
I have found that the spokes will be buried in the rubber when the bolts are tight enough not to shift...ie, the rubbers touch
if too loose, can induce wobble, and can break spokes

remember also, warnings from bill are from my own costly mistakes !!!
I only know how to fix what I have broken (which is just about every part LOL):cool:

I have found that the spokes will be buried in the rubber when the bolts are tight enough not to shift...ie, the rubbers touch
if too loose, can induce wobble, and can break spokes

remember also, warnings from bill are from my own costly mistakes !!!
I only know how to fix what I have broken (which is just about every part LOL):cool:

good info. I've got to add some loctite to these bolts tomorrow. They're torq'd down a little bit more than snug. The chain line is awesome at this point though. I can snug them up a little more.

I do plan to pickup a #41 chain soon. Also, have picked up a Honda foam air filter, (oil soak), to cut a temp air filter with. Until I decide what I'm going to build for it long term. Hate running that motor in the AZ desert, with the OEM cleaner....

so far, this China Girl is

Back