Rag-job sprocket guard?

Reeko

Local time
1:05 PM
Hey guys, had my chain pop off earlier today, and it fell between the rag job sprocket and my spokes. Did some damage, had to retrue the wheel, but shes ok now. I have also adjusted my tensioner to a better place (in my mind at least). Seems to be working reliably now, but I don't want to have to go through this again.

Are there any easy options for a guard that fits on the standard 9-bolt sprockets? Such that the chain could never find its way into the spokes? Something similar to this:

48t.jpg

I know it would be fairly easy to rig one up, but if there's an easy bolt on option that would be awesome. Thanks guys!!

Not that I've seen. The biggest problem is that a chain falling off is being powered by a pretty effing strong motor and anything short of a very strong piece of metal being bolted to your sprocket will get torn to shreds if a chain falls inward.

Glad to hear you hadn't suffered major damage.

Try to make sure best you can that your spokes didn't break anywhere under the rag, if the spokes kept tension and a chain wedged it's way in there then it shouldn't have misaligned the sprocket much. In fact if the bolts didn't loosen and the sprocket didn't get out of center then it really should have sprung back to place.

Best way to prevent damage from the chain is keeping it aligned correctly (a one time job) and keeping the tensioner properly adjusted.

Please double check the spokes for a looser than normal, not to worry you but of one's off then it could lead to them all going off and then the sprocket being ripped from the wheel at a speed that would feel most uncomfortable.

if your chain is falling off it's not properly aligned. maybe dish it the other way or throw some washers in there.

most of the damage is already done when chain rises up onto points of teeth - falling off after that might at least save the motor mounts from snapping

Thanks for the insight guys. I think it's the tensioner that's causing it, I will set it aligned with the sprocket, but it keeps falling inward towards the spokes. I have it pretty dang tight and dont want to to tighten it more for fear of damaging my frame.

So now my question is, what is the end-all best solution as far as tensioners go? In the meantime I will be adding some rubber friction tape to the frame in an attempt to add a bit of resistance to the tensioner falling in. Thanks again for the help everybody.

They make those long chain tensioners that mount on 2 places making roll-ins impossible. Commonly named arch tensioners, I would assume it could be crafted somewhat easily at home, or a mod be done to the stock one to get the same effect.
016.68105518_std.JPG

if chain is adjusted for proper slack at ITS TIGHTEST POINT there will be no force at the tensioner unless your sprockets are way out of line

Back