rain proofing

T

twinkiex

Ok, I did a search on rain and didnt find much.
I found a post that said put plastic wrap around the ignition. Can I get a more detailed picture or explaination on exactly how I should do this and if it ok to ride in light rain or mist?
I went for a ride yesterday thru shallow puddles and got mud on the back of my pants, shirt and head! Then I started worrying about damage I can cause my bike.
Any suggestion greatly appriciated.

augi rides his in the dampness of washington state all the time
(with a full rain-suit)
the important part is keeping your magneto dry
unless you are riding in monsoon rain, you should be fine

Best deal I found was at K-Mart, back near the outdoor/camping section.

2 piece pullover plastic rain suits-$8. Snap-on front tops are a little more.

In bright yellow or red. The top is hooded, and when the weather turns cool, you can use that top part as a windbreaker.

I keep the suit in the saddlebags, only carry along on threatening days, and with the drought this year, there haven't been ANY of those.

(tried to attach a photo, but the tubes are clogged this morn.) It has it's own snap plastic bag, which you could probably bungie to the frame, only use it when necessary.

"I went for a ride yesterday thru shallow puddles and got mud on the back of my pants, shirt and head! Then I started worrying about damage I can cause my bike."

More worried about bike than self and clothing. What have thses bikes done to us?

I did some pretty crazy riding through the rain on Monday. There was a random rainstorm here in Tucson and I had the choice of either waiting around for the rain to dry up, walking my bike (would still get soaked) or riding it home. I chose to ride it home, through all the giant puddles and everything. I got completely soaked, pants and most of my shirt. Bike worked fine until I engaged the clutch at all, and also, until the baffle fell off my exhaust. :)

Wet Rim Brakes

Some of my bikes have rim brakes only. Whenever I get caught out in the rain, (or wet roads) they don't stop well. <---- understatement!:-/
The scariest incident for me was returning from a BdoubleEdoubleRun. It started to rain...I blazed into my open garage door....had nothing, but Flintstone feet!!:LOL: I stopped before ramming the back wall....& remained upright.
I've since switched to better quality pads.

does anyone know the best brand of brake pads for wet weather?

I have had good luck running 'kool stop' brand pads when I was up in niagara (always damp there)
never see enough rain down here to worry about the pads (and my front drum does most of the work anyhow)

Do you guys how any ideas how I could " rain proof" this carb. Its my main concern when I have to ride in the rain.

Attachments

• 20150519_133753.jpg
    20150519_133753.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 489
  • 20150519_133824.jpg
    20150519_133824.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 510
don't worry about it, that's what the filter is for. clean water is fine anyway, it boosts compression and cools both the charge and the engine itself

Back