Ram air does indeed effect pressure inside the case and contributes to top speed.

Have you watched the animation lol? That's pretty much how it looks like it works...
Ok so when the piston finishes the upstroke you can clearly see that the intake charge is stopped in the crankcase, and just after the piston closes the port or the reed does the inertia from the intake reverts back toward the carb, this is all ready atomized fuel and air mix and it's pressure is not high enough to pull fuel from the emulsion tube again so no extra there, now it either gets caught in the filter or evaporates into atmosphere. If you had enough pressure to stop the reversion in it's place (which really we don't) think about it one would negate the other and again no gain, it's pretty simple!

For ram air to work you need to be going well over 55 mph to even consider it actually working. The only reason you increased speed was you provided a better fuel mix for your engine. Which tells me your carb wasn't tuned properly to begin with. Turn your carburetor around so it faces the rear with your ram air set up and I bet it does the same speed as it does when you have it facing forward. A properly tuned air fuel mixture will add speed every time.

For ram air to work you need to be going well over 55 mph to even consider it actually working. The only reason you increased speed was you provided a better fuel mix for your engine. Which tells me your carb wasn't tuned properly to begin with. Turn your carburetor around so it faces the rear with your ram air set up and I bet it does the same speed as it does when you have it facing forward. A properly tuned air fuel mixture will add speed every time.
Fully agree with that, better venturi effect is all that was gained here.

Agreed...maybe since the carb was plumbed differently, the length of intake tract affected performance?

Agreed...maybe since the carb was plumbed differently, the length of intake tract affected performance?
My thoughts to. He was running slightly lean up top and the longer air box hes calling a ram keeps the reversion from blowing out the filter. Enriching his incorrect a/f mix and allowing the engine to reach a level it would be with a properly set up carb.

I am curious how a stock setup goes 50. Is it the gearing? This is my engine I modified a lot and I didn't even break the 40 mph barrier yet. I do have a lot of torque though which is why I ask about the gearing. But still..... 50?? My stock engine went 30mph properly jetted with a 38t sprocket. I trust you're right StreetRyderz I just don't know how yet.
View attachment 106408
Beautiful bike homie! 👍👍👍

Any carb is made at least nominally better when you give it extra belmouth diameter to increase the bernoulli effect through the throat... but there's a reason long trumpet velocity stacks never went far beyond looking kinda cool.
Nothing but glorified "hood scoops" like i had on my 1967 Mustang...lol...DAMIEN

Back