Random seizing and hard start

JohnRolfe

Local time
5:49 AM
I bought the angle fire from bikeberry not long ago. Only been out it on a few rides so far, but today has been the worst so far. On the ride home the head was vibrating and knocking like heck and loud, not smooth at all. Never had this issue before. Tried to get more tests in and starting it is near impossible. Engine dies whenever it starts for even a moment, and dropping the clutch randomly seizes hard, but lets up after a few feet of the rear tire eating pavement locked up. It’s getting fuel, but when ran with the choke off and air gets in it jerks so terribly I almost ended in a ditch. I haven’t opened up the head or engine, I have absolutely no idea what’s going on. I get spark, I’m running pretty rich 16:1 (it’s my first build yes I’m a newbie). Thoughts?

On the ride home the head was vibrating and knocking like heck and loud, not smooth at all. Never had this issue before.

Since it was not long ago when you got it...did you ever retorque the head bolts while breaking it in???...They loosen up periodically for the first 2 or 3 hundred miles or so and have to be torqued again to 12 foot pounds or if using an inch torque wrench, 144 inch pounds, in order to prevent air leakage resulting in something like what your describing...DAMIEN

Since it was not long ago when you got it...did you ever retorque the head bolts while breaking it in???...They loosen up periodically for the first 2 or 3 hundred miles or so and have to be torqued again to 12 foot pounds or if using an inch torque wrench, 144 inch pounds, in order to prevent air leakage resulting in something like what your describing...DAMIEN
I actually tightened them down today on my first ride today. They’re plenty tight, though I should check them again. The problem is that there’s random and really hard seizure when the clutch is dropped, but then it fixes itself. What could even cause that?

Also side note, I’ve only gotten in about 6 total rides on this engine, each no more than like 3 miles.

Do you have coaster brakes on that, they are known to seize up and drag...Not recommended at all for motorised bike usage.
I don’t think so? It’s a stock granite peak 26 inch mountain bike. It has no issues rolling around on its own.

OK...your gonna have to wait for the big guns to reply then as they will probably know something of this that i haven't thought of then...in the meanwhile i would be checking to be sure that everything else like the carbie is tightly affixed etc. and that the chain is not too loose and binding and releasing in the front sprocket casing etc...DAMIEN

OK...your gonna have to wait for the big guns to reply then as they will probably know something of this that i haven't thought of then...in the meanwhile i would be checking to be sure that everything else like the carbie is tightly affixed etc. and that the chain is not too loose and binding and releasing in the front sprocket casing etc...DAMIEN
Yeah this has stumped me. It ran perfectly fine this morning but the rattling happened and it’s just been downhill. Thank you for your time though lol

You have to pedal a little faster before you let out the clutch. It's like jumping on and and trying to pedal with the clutch out, heck, I'd fall over.

Ok so I think I may have an answer or two

The hard seizing let up after I adjusted the chain and gave it a bit more tension. Also just peddling faster helped too. After I took off the head and and inspected inside and out, there’s a ton of carbon buildup on the spark plug and head (which I expected from running 16:1, kinda sucks who’d’ve thunk). I ran it around without the head and dropped the clutch and it cycles perfectly fine, so now I know it’s not a clutch or drivetrain issue (thank god lol).

Now the issue feels like ignition. I get sputters and jerkiness from trying to get it to boot up, so I might just need a new spark plug. It’s caked in carbon, along with the head. Everything else seems fine so far, fingers crossed

Back