Rattlin' Robin

Pugdaddy

Local time
12:11 AM
What is all that rattlin' going on in my new Robin 35? It mostly does it when I'm giving it the gas at low speed. Once I get up to 15-20 mph it purrs like a kitten. I'm guessing it's the slip clutch doing what it's suppose to do but darn, it's louder than the motor itself.

Pugdaddy
yes - I have the same noise going on with my Robin
at first I didn't seem to notice it
then it came in loud and clear
at times it seems to be better
then it's back like all get out ???

seems to be holding up fine though other than that
I am just going to

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

My R/S35 GEBE belt system is silent. But my wifes R/S 35 staton friction has the same Rattlin sound. It seems to be
gettin quieter as she approches 300 mi. I took it apart when it was new and couldn't see anything obvious.

Its the clutch guys, it's the clutch. When it reaches the right speed it purrs, drop below that where the clutch is not fully engaged and you get the chatter.

I have a Staton Chain Drive, and have no unusual or loud noise, only a little gearbox whine when wide open.

I have the same with the tanaka - partial loads or very very occasionally when working up a hard hill it starts making a real racket...

The only way I have found to shut it up is a quick dab on the brake so the engine speed drops below the start of the clutch engagement without dropping the speed of the bike too much.

I'm thinking of wrapping some kind of insulation around the clutch housing. See if that will quiet it down a little. The motor is so nice and quiet it's a shame that it has to do that. I went for a night ride through the neighborhood tonight and if it wasn't for that darn clutch no one would probably even notice me.

that housing also let's some heat escape

there should be times -- when all is right with the clutch -- engaged -- cruising
there will not be much noise noticed

after you ride MB for a while -- you will get used to it

so you can Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Yeah, I wouldn't be wrapping the clutch up either, think you'd be asking for heat build-up and accelerated wear.

Better to figure something else out....or ignore it. This is on a friction drive?
You state the rattle is louder than the engine, that don't seem right. I do think there is a certain break-in with the shoes and drum, but should resolve itself shortly.

Let me ask you this: with the motor off and engine channel raised, does the spindle turn freely without the drum scraping the clutch shoes?
The reason for asking is alignment. I've taken several of these things and swapped motors to different size spindles back and forth a number of times. When you bolt the channel to the engine it's necessary to get the drum centered on the clutch without scraping the shoes, cross-tighten the bolts a bit and keep checking alignment before snugging up the bolts completely.

If your clutch doesn't sort itself out, it might be possible it was assembled a bit out of alignment.

Or, you could try something like this:
http://motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11328&d=1221538523

Back