rattling noise from conrod/gearbox

srdavo said:
edited quote:

Bikeguy Joe said:
elwood, the troll comes out from under his bridge to expound the use of sawdust......

I believe in this act...BgJ was playing the part of the "Troll" :LOL: :LOL:

Yesh, that was a well placed comma. ;)

i think i have the same noise, but this noise was at the first time, didnt just came up, BUT it quiets when i put my hand (or a finger) in the gear cover. so maybe the cover "resonates" just like the fins in the cylinder (the topic "tip:how to reduce engine noise").

There is a way to fix this? maybe making a rubber gasket?

yayo65,

1st....check under your gear cover to make sure nothing is mechanically wrong.

If your hand or finger makes it quieter, a rubber gasket might dampen the sound! Give it a try & let us know what you find out.

Davo

Thanks for replying in this thread...I'd forgotton all about the sawdust & the poo poo platter:LOL::LOL:

srdavo,
I´ve checked the gears the first time i ran the engine 3 months ago, and put some loctite in the screw of the little gear because it was loose, and greased the gears a little with molybdene bisulfur (here in argentina we called molykote).

Yes, when i just put my hand softly in the gear cover, the noise is almost gone! and the engine doesnt make any other strange noises, run just ok.

It looks like the gear cover acts as a "baffle" and resonates.

I am thinking of put some silicone sealer instead of the paper gasket, or making a rubber gasket.

Norman, I also noticed my gears seemed ultra close to the engine block .. Those gears do not have barley any room to spin in there!
Its amazingly tight fit..

I also have "whining metal noise" that comes , but only when the clutch is out and bike is being powered.. Like a metal on metal type noise.. I greased the gears with a small dab. It seemed to help a little, but I am suspecting that gears are touching the block a tiny bit when moving. I did see some "metal like" shavings in the cover/caseface. Like the gears were throwing out shavings .. This may not be happening I will have to look much closer when i pull the cover next time.

I will let the forum know if I find anything worth mentioning. Thanks guys

Back