Raw Motor Idle

oldguy387

Local time
2:37 PM
OK, my first build. The bike will start and run a little rough. I pull the clutch and engine races. What I did during build. 1. I reversed the head for spark plug clearance and torqued to 12 1/2 lbs. 2. I also mounted my carb at an angle to get it out from under the frame. 3. And I had the carb cable and inners apart. What it won.t do is come to a stop and idle at normal idle. It will race and when I stop, engine dies. I also do not have any throttle???? I'm stumped. Thanks Dale

pull the slide out of the top of your carb by removing the top lid.
look at the slide and you should see 2 notches cut into it (a long one and a short one).
the long slot goes to the right side of the carb (while looking down at it while sitting on the bike). Inside the carb where the slide goes, you should see a pin on the right side. the long slot in the slide, lines up with that pin.
the short slot in the slide goes to the left of the carb and should line up with your idle adjustment screw.
i think what's happend is that you have the slide in 180 degrees off which will either give you an engine that will only idle, or wide open throttle because the slide is jammed with no throttle response at all. The side will not move with the throttle or with the idle screw when it's put in wrong. yes, the slide it will go into the carb 2 different ways, but only one way is correct.

I have found that a lot of people make this mistake and their complaint is exactly the same as what you are describing. I have no idea how many times i have given out this answer....but i'll do anything to try and help someone out.

Last edited:
Motorpsycho - Thanks for the input. I am not an idiot, but new to these engines and I am becoming an expert rather quickly. Lots of little things to look for. It seems the carbs are the biggest problem. Anyway, Thanks. Dale
"Logica defecta stercus tori exploridus est!" - (Logic, having failed, try BS.) author unknown.

Back