RC car fuel in tank. How much is TOO MUCH?

J

joeranton

Hello all. I'm new to this website. Quick question. Is there a limit to how much RC car fuel that can be mixed with regular fuel in the tank? If you put too much, would it damage your engine? I am already aware that adding this fuel will decrease MPG. Not worried about that though.

Yes, there is a limit- 0.

All you will do by adding RC fuel is mess up the gas that's already in there and waste the RC fuel.

Mixing RC fuel and gasoline are a really bad idea.

If you are at sea level, any amount is TOO much. If you live at 6800 feet and occasionally ride up to 10,000 feet, then 1-3 oz of 20% car fuel which has 12 percent oil in it per gallon really helps lean out the overly rich mixture due to altitude. It doesn't really take much to go too lean.

(announcers voice over)- The role of the devils advocate will be played by rcjunkie.... :LOL:

If you live at the higher elevations, just adjust the carb for a permanent solution.

Bikeguy,
Carb at altitude cannot be adjusted as is and must be rejetted with a jet that is smaller. Blending small amounts of fuel that require a richer mixture is the easist way to compensate for the altitude effect without spending $$ to rejet.
5 oz of E85 per gallon is another option for those above 5,000 feet. I never run straight fuel in my engines because they are just too slow otherwise.

2 dollar jet? If you know of a 2 dollar jet, then by all means let me know where I can get one that is approximately 20% smaller in size than stock.

I paid 6/gallon for 20/20 rc fuel a while ago and bought enough cases to last me a dozen years :) Got lucky and got largest rc fuel manufacturer to sell to me at cost.

Anyway, even at 15 bucks/gallon we are talking about 1-3 oz per gallon of fuel and this lasts a long time.

Another alternative is 4-5oz/gallon of E85 which is about 2.33/gallon. Does same trick in leaning the rich mixture setting at altitude.

rcjunkie said:
If you are at sea level, any amount is TOO much. If you live at 6800 feet and occasionally ride up to 10,000 feet, then 1-3 oz of 20% car fuel which has 12 percent oil in it per gallon really helps lean out the overly rich mixture due to altitude. It doesn't really take much to go too lean.

In laymans terms- "Don't do it unless you really know what you're doing, and then only if you insist."

Back