Re-doing my chainsaw hybrid the right way!

Good luck with that, I doubt a machine shop will try and fix what ya got,

Advice:
If you do take it to a machine shop bring in just the case because the con rod will be in their way,
(bring the crank, con rod, piston too they might need to take measurements )

To fix what ya got, They will weld then resurface the case deck before attempting to drill
This is a little more than the shop's minimum $50 charge. Your better off buying another engine and starting over

Take a new case and Saw cyl to a machine shop and ask them if it can be done
Don't pug any holes, Let them decide what to do, Maybe you can prep and they'll just drill

Before ya buy new, take what ya got to a machine shop and go over all your options

If ya got a friend in a machine shop that will help, or hopefully you'll make a new friend at a machine shop
Sometimes those guys take great enjoyment doing these little one off jobs

Hey guys. Just an update on the engine. So I found someone that has a drill press and they said I could use it so I plan on doing so in the next week or so.

I kind lost motivation for project but I realized how close I was and I’m kinda sick of my bike just sitting around doing nothing. But one kinda two questions. But main question is IF I were to fill my botched holes with something what would be better jbweld or solder. Solder kinda sucks and dislodges itself very easy and jbweld ,I think, would be better. The holes are only like 2mm deep nothing I think is serious.

Another unrelated weird question. But would anyone know where I could buy a yd100/100cc bottom end from that comes with a 12mm wrist pin hole? I’ve been looking around and the only one I can definitively know would fit my needs would be a phantom 85 bottom end, but 140 for a bottom end is kinda crazy and I don’t really trust it given its history. It’s for another project that I plan on doing right after this and it might be a “game changer” (using it loosely) if I can pull it off and depending if the thing makes power. Again thanks.

Hey guys. Just an update on the engine. So I found someone that has a drill press and they said I could use it so I plan on doing so in the next week or so.

I kind lost motivation for project but I realized how close I was and I’m kinda sick of my bike just sitting around doing nothing. But one kinda two questions. But main question is IF I were to fill my botched holes with something what would be better jbweld or solder. Solder kinda sucks and dislodges itself very easy and jbweld ,I think, would be better. The holes are only like 2mm deep nothing I think is serious.

Another unrelated weird question. But would anyone know where I could buy a yd100/100cc bottom end from that comes with a 12mm wrist pin hole? I’ve been looking around and the only one I can definitively know would fit my needs would be a phantom 85 bottom end, but 140 for a bottom end is kinda crazy and I don’t really trust it given its history. It’s for another project that I plan on doing right after this and it might be a “game changer” (using it loosely) if I can pull it off and depending if the thing makes power. Again thanks.
You just have to take gamble on a bottom end

I wouldn’t give up on this just yet.

It looks like the botched holes are so shallow it can still be done with a decent press, good sharp new bits, and start with minimum 1/16” pilot hole. I’d start smaller.

A $50 Harbor Freight press probably won’t get it. The block needs to be square and locked down solid.
Precise hole locations laid out and drilled very slow…slow…so the bit doesn’t walk to the softer metal. Just enough pressure on the bit to cut the hole. Lot of pressure on the bit and it’ll drift to the softer metal if it’s cutting both the block and plug.
Pilot hole needs to be as deep as the desired hole. Stepping up in size in small increments to size needed for the tap. Then threads…

This obviously is not as easy as just drilling a regular hole in metal but it can be done.

Back