Re: Vibration???

Gary Stout

Local time
7:17 AM
Is the 2 cycle motors known for a lot of vibration? I have some rubber pads between the mounts and the frame, but anything over about 15mph is just about unbearable. I have ordered a rear mount 4 cycle and hoping that it will be balanced better, since I am assuming those have a flywheel.

I have got the bug and love to ride this thing...I just need to fine tune things and make it as smooth as possible. I did manage to ride about 40 miles today, but the vibration makes my hands numb.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Gary

every engine will have vibrations, especially a single cylinder. it all depends on the moutning method. rubber pads between the frame and the mounts will not do very much.
if you want to eliminate any engine vibrations, you will need to make your own mount consisting of a steel mount, with a thick rubber doughnut, to another steel mount, with a nut & bolt holding it all together, sandwiching the rubber doughnut between the steel.
check out a harley davidson rubber motor mount and you'll see what a i mean.

Also, knobby tires on pavement can be VERY prone to vibration. If you aren't going off-road, slicks provide the smoothest ride and best traction. Tread isn't needed on pavement for bike tires - it actually reduces traction under all conditions except (possibly) wet snow.

Also, knobby tires on pavement can be VERY prone to vibration. If you aren't going off-road, slicks provide the smoothest ride and best traction. Tread isn't needed on pavement for bike tires - it actually reduces traction under all conditions except (possibly) wet snow.

I am using a Hybrid bike and the tire tread is not aggressive at all. If I am coasting down a hill and pull the clutch in and reduce engine rpm's, the vibration is minimal, so it seems like it is all coming from the engine itself. This is an aluminum frame bike and I am using some of the large tube adapters, so mounting is probably not ideal as it would be on a steel frame with a "normal" V frame.

See picture.....

Attachments

• DSC00858.jpg
    DSC00858.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,874
Has anyone here used a 4 cycle engine and know if they are better balanced? I thought perhaps since they have a large flywheel, maybe the balancing is better. I guess there are probably pros and cons to both types. I do like the fact that if I am out on a long ride and need some gas, I can fill up without having to mix in the oil, but also need to keep a closer eye on the crankcase oil.

Thanks,
Gary

on my bike,,,4stroke, HS 142F powered EZM kit,,,
while idling, I can put a coffee cup on my seat without it spilling ;)

I wouldn't try that when I was using a happy time, I enjoy my coffee too much LOL :)

on my bike,,,4stroke, HS 142F powered EZM kit,,,
while idling, I can put a coffee cup on my seat without it spilling ;)

I wouldn't try that when I was using a happy time, I enjoy my coffee too much LOL :)

Thanks for the info! I am looking forward to that kind of performance :D I have been bit by the motorized bike bug and sure don't want to give up on it now. I have been happy with the power and hill climbing abilities of the 66cc Grubee Skyhawk GT5 and a 48 tooth rear sprocket. This thing will pull some pretty decent hills with no effort at all. Hoping the 49cc 4 cycle will do well in that regard as well. Top speed seems to be up in the 40's....way to fast for the narrow tires on the hybrid. About 20mph seems like a nice cruising speed on this particular bike.

Thanks again for your comments,
Gary

Meticulous fitting of the HT to your frame is the key. Most here advise against rubber mount pads as it allows the engine to move creating broken mounting bolts, etc.. AZBill has several thousand miles on his EZM equipped bike as well as Quentin, J.B. and others. I've gone to 4strokes 'cause I like to actually SEE out my rear view mirrors! Some of that vibration is caused by that xtra chain. I've been using BMP Friction Drives and 4 strokes lately. Try the 4 stroke, you'll like it!

Try the 4 stroke, you'll like it!

Thanks....the 4 stroke arrived this week and going to start installation today. Can't hardly wait to give it a try. Installation should be fairly quick since I already have the sprocket mounted from the 2 cycle install.

Thanks,
Gary

Back