Real cheap U-make it single wheel trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

professor

Local time
7:00 AM
I wanted a trailer for an e-bike experiment, and after searching here, decided on a one wheeler.
Then thought of the kick scooter behind the house that the grandkids don't use + some welding and a steering U joint from the inventory. Works great, I would say the capacity for all practicality is around 30 pounds (I had 2 car batteries in there powering the e-bike and it was definitely too much tail wagging feeling on the bike- also lifted the front of the bike, just sitting there).
The U joint needs to have one of the cross joints parallel to the ground- you can't weld it on any old way. The joint gives turning and up/down movement while keeping the trailer at the same lean angle (or straight) as the bike.
I removed the plastic step pad, bolted on the plastic box, put a small innertube (partially filled 12 inch) in the box, then put a plywood "Floor" in it = air ride.

Attachments

• IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 3,697
  • IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,363
I like it, but feel the U joint is overkill [ and overweight ] Wouldn't a simple pintle setup work just as well ? I love the rack, please post a larger picture, thanks for a unique problem solver.

Nothing like a Uni-wheel trailer to get the job done. Conventional trailers are great until they hit a decent pothole; then promptly over turn and land on their roof.

I'll testify!

A flipped trailer has happened to me a time or two.

I do like the professor's design. That one looks like it's not quite stout enough for the jobs that I would give it.

But it's an idea that's worth looking into.......

bluegoatwoods, i'll send you a PM of my Uni-wheel trailer - if that design isn't stout enough for your requirements we need to invent a new category for stoutness!

Very cool!!! I like the slim footprint making it easy to pull on narrow road aprons and such. Getting tired of limiting my shopping jaunts to town to what I can fit in my backpack and panniers. Well done.

Functional and looks good. That is a difficult thing to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back