Reality Review on Registration/Ca.and elsewhere

Hi Mike,

I have written 2 replies to your post to Bean and somehow I lost both of them. It's late, I must be tired. Hit a key and poof, they were gone.

I stand by what I said and I will post a response in a couple of days. (this time I will write it out in Word, save it and then copy/paste.)

Mary

i actually have got critical information that you cant get without lots of probing-searching,i got it from a icbc legislator.i could send you the information if youd like,i think your better off not reading it, but ill send it if ya want.i ride everyday and just go with the flow here in victoria,and have been to the mainland a half dozen times.i ride slow when in traffic hand signal and use lights and helmet.no problems so far.but.....there could be!:censored:

Hi Beast. Yes its difficult to figure.
I hope you werent serious in another post of yours that I've just read, where You talk about registering and insuring your bicycle.
I believe You said You'd be the first in B.C.
I've been dreading the day someone did just that because there's a real good chance that it will go along ways to making it mandatory.
The day this happens is the day the officers on patrol are going to find it within their duty to find all of us riding these harmless eco friendly bicycles guilty of riding an unlicenced and unregistered motor vehicle.
As it stands right now, while maybe not being 100% within the letter of the law,I personally have found the local(Surrey,Newton) rcmp aswell as the NewWest and Delta City Police are tolerant to these bikes being in use.
When I first started building and riding these motered Bikes, almost 2 yrs ago now, I was getting pulled over quite frequently more out of curiousity than anything I believe .
The majority of the officers were amused and unconcerned .
A couple officers weren't to sure to the legality of my bike but after talking to them for a while and answereing any of their concerns politely and honestly , they were fine letting me be on my way.
I might add, like yourself, I use this as my sole source of transportation . I haven't drove my truck in 2 yrs. I live less than 2 blocks from the Newton RCMP detachment which I ride by usually a few times aday everyday.
I've been to the Newton detachment aswell as the main Surrey detachment on my bike, have ridden right up , and parked at the front door with officers walking in and out and a few have stopped and said "HEY check this out" to thier partners and given me an appreciative smile and nod of the head but never anything negative. Oh, I was at the detachments on other business. lol
I quite regularly go for for a ride in the middle of the night 3, 4 am but never get bothered.
They are all used to seeing me now, know who I am, where I live, know that I build bikes and fix small engines at home in my shop and don't bother me at all.
I might add I'm 45, kinda clean cut,lol I use lights at night , always wear a helmet and dont ride like a fool .
I follow all the rules of the road as though i was in a vehicle other than riding the shoulder of course.
Surrey has bicycle lanes along most of the major corridors or just off them which I try to use most of the time so as to not impede traffic and its alot safer and enjoyable.
When I said earlier in this post that they where pulling me over out of curiousity, you have to understand ,I've just started using kit engines and the majority of my bikes where a little "out of the norm" I guess Yu'd say.
an example below

Any ways do what you must and good luck and yes , please forward any info have have obtained
Thanks in advance,
~Haggard~

Attachments

• 57_DSCN0223_1.jpg
    57_DSCN0223_1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 313
legalities

yes yes and yes.im in my forties 2.i was going to put one on the road -legal just to shove it to them.but to much work when i can stay invisible easily,theres a couple guys riding in victoria loud pipes and flying through traffic lights no helmet. i cringe everytime i see them because its goin to backlash on me if there ever is a time?i talked to the fellow who got ticketed on a segway here in town he owns 2 clothing stores and after our conversation i see why they ticketed him:eek:all charges were dropped except,driving a unliscensed vehicle,the charges were over 8,000 bucks:eek:..then they made a law for the segway,illegal 100%.if you pm me and give your address ill send you what i have in paperwork.im in total agreeance on being responsible with these machines,if everyone was,there would be 0 problems:cool:

Hi Bean, CA Requires registration, plate, helmet, and obeying the laws. Ol Pete is absolutely right! I live in the root of all this evil, Sacramento CA, and I can assure you that he is on the money when it comes to CA law and motor bicycles (or whatever anyone may wish to call them). I have quoated CA law, CA website, and the realaties therein, and it is as Ol Pete says, that we keep getting new posts about what people "feel" about CA law.

Check this link http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/plates/specialplates.htm and please report back to everyone what it says about "Motorized Bicycles" if you would, as a favor to all CA riders?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike but I really don't want to be right, that is not the issue. We know what CA law states, right or not it is on the books. Willful ignorance will offer no defence under the law.

Pete Sir, why will you be gone untill march? Every thing ok bud?

I reside in CA and am just fed up with these silly debates about CA DMV requiorments governing motorized bicycle operators in our State.
It is THIS Forum, Laws and Legislation that I need to abandon. People that need info on CA law regarding our interests here should just advance search this forum with the word Califonia. Atleast 14 threads will come up. Read the posts of MotorbikeMike in those threads if you need to know CA DMV requiorments for powered bicycle operation.

In this State an M-2(moped/scooter/moterized bicycle) endorsement is needed on one's drivers license to operated a gasoline powered go-ped. Now ppl will come out of the woodwork stating how they have ridden go-peds for years w/o issue here in CA. That statement will have no impact on the law.

(NOTE: I made an error in the title-I meant M2 license)

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the defi nition of VC Sec.406, you:- Must be 16 years of age or older.- Must wear a properly fi tted and fastened bicycle helmet.- Are exempt from the motor vehicle fi nancial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements.[/COLOR]

Mary, I think it is the last sentence you quoted that has led you to believe a CA driver license is not necessary. Read it carefully: it only applies to VC Sec.406, which applies to bicycles with electric motors. For VC Sec.406[a] (mopeds and motorized bicycles, an M-2 license is required, and a special moped license plate. See section 5030 for special license plate.

From CA Driver Handbook:
Motorcycle Class M2 - You may operate any motorized bicycle, moped, any bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete,

This is the third time you have posted on this forum after you said you will not be posting until March '08

Just a gentle reminder. :-|

Mary

Back