reallistic gas mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

recumbentbill

Local time
5:29 AM
Some bike kits claim up to 225 mpg or 30 to 35 miles per 22oz tank [GEBE Here] I have at present a tanaka 26cc kit a tanaka 40 gebe kit and a inframe honda gxh 50 inframe kit. All get around 120 to 130 mpg. How do the mileage guru's get the high mpg's that are claimed

Combined rider and bike weight, gearing, terrain are all contributing factors but how much someone pedals has probably the largest influence in mpg. I assume the dealers will opt for the high estimates when pitching their product.

My son had a Toyota Prius for a while. He was into hyper-mileing with onboard computer mpg readouts, user forums just like this one, etc. Surprising how much you can squeeze out of a gallon if you're obsessed, lol.

I have a BMP friction drive that I've used both a Honda GX35 and a Harbor Freight 50cc. I haven't ridden my bike nor checked the mileage lately, but as well as I remember I'm getting around 110 - 130 out of both engines. I'm not one of those that worry about squeezing every little inch out of a gallon of gasoline. I ride just for the fun of it anyway. My bike definitely gets better mileage than any of my automobiles !

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a Tanaka 47R racing engine with a shift kit and very stiff gear ratios.

I use 87 octane and ride mostly on flat ground with congested traffic.

Gas mileage is about 80mpg with absolutely no pedal-assisting. I use a heavy throttle to claim the lane and ride ahead of traffic. Top speed is self-regulated at 42 mph.

I'm happy with my gas mileage. It costs me $10.73 monthly to commute to work.

Last edited:
I would guesstimate that my Rob/Subaru Eh035 is getting at least 150mpg. Likely closer to 180~200 mpg. This does include pedaling from a dead-stop, however.

20" wheels. 5:1 reverse gearbox. 11 to 44 tooth sprockets. I'm a skinny lad, however... so not much cross-section fighting these heavy winds of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back