Really. Can't I mount the CDI on the front engine mount?

FurryOnTheInside

In Memoriam
Local time
4:26 PM
About a million bikes on here and not one uses the lovely flat surface that hides the ugly box and keeps the wires as short as possible.
IMG_20170923_002322.jpg

How hot is it there really?

Can't I make some heat shield? I can layer Teflon impregnated fabric (oven liner) and muffler wrap and aluminised bubble wrap?
I really have no idea how hot it would be, having not quite reached the point of trying my first start. But with airflow over it and some sort of heat shield underneath and between the CDI and the exhaust, is it not a great place to put it? Why then am I unable to find an example of this?
I reallyyy don't like any of the other places it could go. I'll put it somewhere else if it absolutely definitely will die there; but mannnn, this place is still the most convenient by miles.

you shouldn't need to do anything. it doesn't get very hot there.

my solution for mounting the cdi is to run it behind the motor, where it's completely hidden by the clutch side cover and the chain. that area gets much hotter than the front mount, and I've had no issues with the cdi.

you shouldn't need to do anything. it doesn't get very hot there.

my solution for mounting the cdi is to run it behind the motor, where it's completely hidden by the clutch side cover and the chain. that area gets much hotter than the front mount, and I've had no issues with the cdi.
Awesome. Thanks for the reassurance. It just struck me that I never see the CDI on the front mount so I thought "must be a reason why".
I don't like the rear position quite as much because of how the plug wire wants to bend, but I think perhaps you have given me a good idea where to keep the spare. :)
IMG_20170923_021712.jpg

I actually turn it on its side so it doesn't interfere with the clutch mechanism. leave a bit of slack in the wire so it doesn't want to pull on the connection and you're golden. I just mount it with zip ties

Hehe, no such thing as behind the carb on this thing. ;)
IMG_20170923_050534.jpg

Seat tube below the filter is a hand hold and would make the wires really long, the top tube above the carb is the most useful hand hold. I don't suppose it's a problem to have wires along the tubes but I mustn't have anything get in the way of reaching through to the choke which is my kill switch.
I just will put the CDI up front near the exhaust header as in the first post. There, the wires will be very short and it's definitely not a hand hold.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Back