Really hard to start it when its cool

Y

yayo65

Hi, i have a 48cc chinese almost new, i have problems with the "initial" start.
I have to pedal a lot, sometimes "just" 100 yrd, sometimes more, no choke, a little trickle, the circlip in 3rd slot (more rich), o ring the carb, clutch works fine, i make sure no air leakings (i have the stock intake gasket, i dont touch it at all) no fuel leakings at all.

BUT when the thing finally starts, i can kill the motor inmediatly, then pedal and pop the clutch and fires EVERY TIME and runs great.

If i let the engine cool like an hour or two, is hard to start again, when it starts, i can kill it and start again with no problems.

I dont know if its a fuel problem, or spark, i have the chinese spark plug, im gonna try with the ngk b6hs.

whay do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have no choke that is why it may be difficult to start....especially now that it's cold out Brrrrr.
Andrew

hi andy, im in the south, here we have 75-80º F, i have to choke it anyway? how much do you choke it in spring/summer?

Its not unusual for some carbs to dry out between starts. Try the tickle primer before you pedal and pop the clutch.

thanks, yes sometimes i use the primer, but is hard anyway.

maybe something with the float level???

now is sunday, but tomorrow im gonna try with new spark plug, and try different levels of choke.

one thing, the engine starts only when i almost do not touch the throttle, accelerate just a little, at WOT nothing happens.

I mow grass for a living and we always have to choke the machines started for at least the first start of the day....after that subsequent starts are easier...either because the engine is at that point warm or maybe the fact that it fills the carb back up with gas....in either case choke definatelt helps... I even choke my bike motor when it is warm out to get her going...usually not for a long period though....I say a couple hundred feet maybe....never actually measured the distance but I may try to next time.....Hope this helps you.
Andrew

Mine does the very same thing hard start when warm??????/ Did you ever fix it?

i think i dont have to fix anything, i think the problem is "mine", the problem is that i have to pedal a lot until the engine catchs up some fuel.

So a few days ago, i took apart the carburetor to see how it works, and i discovered that if i push the trickle a couple of times at WOT, the fuel almost start to flooding out of the carb, the venturi is full of fuel ready to go into the engine.

So i put the carb back again, pedal 4-5 times, pop the clutch..... VROOOAMM!

so my procedure to start the bike is:
*Wide open throttle.
*Push the tricke quickly until i HEAR the fuel start to flooding out.
*Close throttle
*Pedal 4-5 times
*Pop the clutch
*SHE IS RUNNING

sorry my bad english i hope you understand

Thanks, some other guys starts their engines A LOT EASIER, just choke, pedal and got the engine running. But this is the only way for me.

I think these engines are "different" from each other.

Back