Really paranoid about being pulled over in Appleton, WI have VALID DL, please reply!!

Donavan321

Local time
6:48 AM
I have my driver's license and I'm really scared then some ignorant officer is going to pull me over and NOT care that I have pasted some pieces out of lynn Reitzke's email from the DMV into a new text document stating I'm legal. I have a 66cc bike kit coming on the way and will be built this tuesday, I use hand signals and am curteous to traffic, I try not to speed although I don't have a speedometer yet. I do ride full throttle sometimes for 5 second durations and even in 30mph zones cars and officers pass me. SO, here's what I carry in my wallet and I want to guarantee it's good enough. Valid Driver's license, and here's what my text document says. I added my name with dear infront of it to make it look like and email(which was actually sent to lynn, now if this needs to be reworded please give me something to copy and paste into a document and print out! Thanks! I didn't sign the guys name who sent the letter to lynn because I don't want the police to investigate and see that he never actually sent the letter to me, but to lynn..which is where I copied these from, left it blank. I think it's more than adequate but I'm VERY paranoid :( I haven't been pulled over ONCE, but I'm really scared my luck will run out!
So here's what I've got

Dear (my name), although vehicle registration is not required, a valid regular driver's license is required to operate a motor
bicycle.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this letter or about the laws applicable
to your vehicles.
340.01(30) "Motor bicycle" means a bicycle to which a power unit not an integral part of the vehicle has been added to
permit the vehicle to travel at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard
surface with no wind and having a seat for the operator.
340.01(32) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, excluding a tractor or an all-terrain vehicle, which is capable of
speeds in excess of 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind, with a power
source as an integral part of the vehicle, and which meets the conditions under par. (a) or (b):
(a) Type 1 is a motor vehicle which meets either of the following conditions:
1. Is designed and built with 2 wheels in tandem and a seat for the operator, and may be modified to have no more
than 3 wheels by attaching a sidecar to one side of the wheels in tandem without changing the location of the power
source.
343.05(3)(c)
(c) No person may operate a moped or motor bicycle unless the person possesses a valid operator's license or a special
restricted operator's license issued under s. 343.135 or a restricted license issued under s. 343.08. A license under this
paragraph does not authorize operation of a moped or motor bicycle if the license is revoked, suspended, canceled or
expired.

ANY help appreciated, as a fellow motor bicycling friend, we all know how fun these are and all it takes to ruin my day is some ignorant officer(most officers I've met seem pretty nice though...STILL NOT TAKING CHANCES) to write me a ticket for $100 that I don't have to spend. I don't want him looking at my law and trying to tell me these aren't for Wisconsin or that they're old, that they've changed, or that he's writing me a citation anyway and that I'm arguing from his/her stupidity. I NEED evidence now! :( Unless you think this is adequate enough, I'm having troubles so maybe someone can help, Thanks much and happy riding!

Last edited by a moderator:
Paranoia in unjustified apprehension.
I think you have that, rather than justified caution.

My view is if you look safe (motorcycle helmet, glasses. bright safety vest- I always wear gloves too, and ride like you describe, you should have no problems.
I've found that the bright safety vest commands a surprising amount of respect from drivers, I guess there is an unconscious connection to these vests and caution.
So the police probably perceive the same.

I usually wear a bike helmet because I feel if I wear a motorcycle helmet It looks more suspicious, I don't wear a best or gloves, I am a SAFE and cautious rider, I usually ride in the bike lanes(i dont think I'm supposed to though) usually in the road off to the side so people can go around me, I ensure the brakes are safe and function well. Like I said most of the time, they just dont pay attention to me.

From all I've read about Wisconsin laws you're in a very friendly motorized bicycle state. Just obey all traffic laws and don't ride like an idiot then you should be fine.

just CALM DOWN!

gee man, you oughtta ride down to mexico, and go find something to chill out on. though that paranoia level sounds like you already have!

:p

now, i cant say im familiar with american piggys, but i know that over here, just like as everyone says... follow the rules, behave, dress appropriately, show some respect, and invariably, you dont get a second glance.

then again, the situation changes if youre coloured in any way shape or form. i cant let my fijian friend ride mine cus he gets pulled over everytime!

in which case, i cant offer any advice other than to walk and even then theyll probably get you for "walking with intent" :giggle:

. go to local dmv have them print out laws and have them stamp that paper with their office stamp... SIMPLE

There's quite a few people that just take their chances, even though their state requires DL & REG.Ride it like a courteous bike rider and you'll have no problems; spin pedal every 20 to 30 seconds to make it look like a bike (gotta get SOME exercise).I have noticed that once the state troopers and sheriffs have seen me, I become like landscape to them, they don't look twice.Now if I could lose the paranoia of my ride getting stolen I'd be golden.

If you are paranoid about riding your bike then you can't afford to ride your bike.

In Australia, i routinely risk a $2,500 fine/tickets for riding my motorized bicycle, and i have a valid motorcycle licence/car licence.

Because i enjoy riding my motorized bicycle, i am prepared to risk the $2,500 fine and demerit point penalties that will affect my car drivers licence, should a nasty police officer decide to go the whole hog and try to make my life more difficult than it needs to be.

Sounds like you're legal to ride. As long as you have the codes and sections, EVERY cop has a computer in his car to verify these codes. It don't matter WHO they were sent to first. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Big Red.

Back