Really starting to enjoy the bike!

I have a suspension seat post. It wont let the seat down far enough for me. And yeah, WIDE, CUSHIONED SEATS. Had one on my last personal bike. Didn't look cool, but it sure was a joy to ride.
Big Red.

Hi Big Red -

My bike took me about 110 miles yesterday (160 cc Honda 4-stroke, 3-speed cassette in back) Average speed was 20 mph (stops, uphills, downhills, wind and all). So it was a long ride out and back. Hot too. I must remember to take water next time I ride on a 90 degree day. The real reason for this long ride was I wanted to know just how far a single tank of mid-grade gasoline would take me. With a 2.5 litre tank, right at 100 miles if I top it off before it spills out with cap. I had extra gas with me, for when the tank finally ran dry. My record run is 138 miles, made two years ago with a 66 cc HT engine.

Cushion seats are mandatory! I sit on a Cloud 9 11-inch wide. No residual pain after five and a half hours. I'd like to take on a 200-miler; maybe later this year. I still incur flats very infrequently now, mostly because of tube abrasion inside the tire wall or a tube manufacturing defect. Changing my tubes is time consuming under the best conditions. Along the road would take more time than I care. My "sag wagon" backup will come and get me, but I have to buy them a steak dinner treat.

To look "cool" is not at all on my list of riding desirables. I don't ride without helmet, jacket, etc. If somebody ever referred to me as "Dorkus Maximus", I'd simply remind them that I am older and more learned than they. I doubt that anyone older than a 57-year-old will make fun of us.

MikeJ

You won't see me laughing. Although COOL is a priority, It's not the top one. Safety always comes first. AND, Ya ain't gotta be young to be COOL.
Big Red.

Hi Big Red -I'm an older rider too,62 so I wear a helmet,I also installed a cushioned seatpost because long rides are starting to wear on my back.All my bikes (4) have self sealing tubes so I don't have many flats.I've had a few spokes break so I keep some spare wheels around.

My bike took me about 110 miles yesterday (160 cc Honda 4-stroke, 3-speed cassette in back) Average speed was 20 mph (stops, uphills, downhills, wind and all). So it was a long ride out and back. Hot too. I must remember to take water next time I ride on a 90 degree day. The real reason for this long ride was I wanted to know just how far a single tank of mid-grade gasoline would take me. With a 2.5 litre tank, right at 100 miles if I top it off before it spills out with cap. I had extra gas with me, for when the tank finally ran dry. My record run is 138 miles, made two years ago with a 66 cc HT engine.

Cushion seats are mandatory! I sit on a Cloud 9 11-inch wide. No residual pain after five and a half hours. I'd like to take on a 200-miler; maybe later this year. I still incur flats very infrequently now, mostly because of tube abrasion inside the tire wall or a tube manufacturing defect. Changing my tubes is time consuming under the best conditions. Along the road would take more time than I care. My "sag wagon" backup will come and get me, but I have to buy them a steak dinner treat.

To look "cool" is not at all on my list of riding desirables. I don't ride without helmet, jacket, etc. If somebody ever referred to me as "Dorkus Maximus", I'd simply remind them that I am older and more learned than they. I doubt that anyone older than a 57-year-old will make fun of us.

MikeJ

Back