Rear axle keeps getting loose

MinimumVK

Local time
7:17 AM
Hello!
So in the last few 100kms my axle started loosening up on its self after each ride (usually around 20-30km). After i noticed that i took the rear wheel off, took out the axle and ball bearings and noticed the axle is bent... i replaced it with a new used one i had that was straight and wasnt damaged. The hub and bearings both looked and felt fine (no scratches, burrs....) I reinstalled it and packed with new automotive high temp bearing grease. Im 100% sure i adjust the cones correctly and there is no play while the wheel spins easily by hand. After doing all of this i still have to keep re-adjusting the axle cones after every ride. In fact its getting worse and worse. Is the hub warped from the high speed (i usually ride at around 55km/h). Should i just get a new rim and forget about it?
Thanks in advance!

You need to replace the stock axle with a cro-molly axle; they're sold at reputable bicycle shops. Department store bicycle axles are prone to bending. You can't be doing things like jumping off curbs either even when you do change out the axle.

As for your rim it needs to be trued and preferably double walled.

1714252249730.png

You need to replace the stock axle with a cro-molly axle; they're sold at reputable bicycle shops. Department store bicycle axles are prone to bending. You can't be doing things like jumping off curbs either even when you do change out the axle.

As for your rim it needs to be trued and preferably double walled.

View attachment 212245
I will look into the better axles. The rim i have is double walled and also has thick spokes thats why i want to keep it.

UPDATE: Because i had a rim on hand that already had the sprocket, i changed it out. After my run i went on a ride and after 50km it didnt get any play. The hub is slimmer and it also has painted brake surfaces so the rim is a downgrade but it will serve me good until i buy or make another rim.
Examined the old hub again and i really cant see anything wrong with it...

I had basically the same issue. My first engine was an Amazon special and I didn't know much about them. I got s bike from Walmart and that was a mistake. The rear wheel got so bad with wobbling I literally couldn't keep it straight. Needless to say when I purchased my p85 I went to my local bike shop and purchased an older diamondback (chromoly with the TTLite frame).

Back