Rear axle spacer

Risk Man

Local time
11:02 AM
I need to space my CDH rear mag to get the disc brake rotor to line up as it is too close to the frame. Can I use a nylon spacer? I could not fine the right thickness in steel at ACE today. They seem pretty strong and it will be tightened against the jam nut.

Thanks for the feedback
Dennis

I need to space my CDH rear mag to get the disc brake rotor to line up as it is too close to the frame. Can I use a nylon spacer?
What i did on mine was to use a spare axle nut i had and placed it between the the disk rotor and the frame drop down as a spacer to stretch out that half an inch that i needed to clear the disk rotor from the frame...I also used blue locktite on it as an extra measure to hold it from moving...It has worked beautifully now for 1040 miles now in a years time since i did it last January 2021...Hope this helps...DAMIEN

Thanks Damien. Dumb question; what side of the hub does the long threaded end of the axle bolt go, the free wheel side or the drive sprocket side or does it not matter as long as everything lines up?

It really wont matter as long as you can line things up OK and you can get the axle nuts on...lol...in my case, the the "longer threaded end" happens to be on the freewheel side...lol.

I need to space my CDH rear mag to get the disc brake rotor to line up as it is too close to the frame. Can I use a nylon spacer? I could not fine the right thickness in steel at ACE today. They seem pretty strong and it will be tightened against the jam nut.

Thanks for the feedback
Dennis
You don't have any rim bushing available? They are a washer, but not. tighter tolerances, and they don't have the large diameter like a flat washer or fender washer. They are meant to stay under the head. Usually only a few mm thick, so you can stack to your height.

You don't have any rim bushing available? They are a washer, but not. tighter tolerances, and they don't have the large diameter like a flat washer or fender washer. They are meant to stay under the head. Usually only a few mm thick, so you can stack to your height.
No washers came with the Axles Karl. I must say, while the communication with CDH was very good, the execution was not. The first axle did not even have all the nuts or one of the retainer clips for the front. The second axle set they sent me was for another wheel. They wanted to send me a third one, but I did not want to bother. i robbed the nuts and the clip from the second axle set and used what I had.The hub for the rear wheel is bit wide on the drive / disc brake side. It pushes the wheel too far to the right and the wide tire just clears the seat stay on the free wheel side. If I shim the drive side any closer, the brake disc hits the frame.

No washers came with the Axles Karl. I must say, while the communication with CDH was very good, the execution was not. The first axle did not even have all the nuts or one of the retainer clips for the front. The second axle set they sent me was for another wheel. They wanted to send me a third one, but I did not want to bother. i robbed the nuts and the clip from the second axle set and used what I had.The hub for the rear wheel is bit wide on the drive / disc brake side. It pushes the wheel too far to the right and the wide tire just clears the seat stay on the free wheel side. If I shim the drive side any closer, the brake disc hits the frame.
ebay, them, or amacon? where you order?

ebay, them, or amacon? where you order?
Directly from CDHPower.com. As I mentioned, the email response has been spot on. They did try to help for sure.

Side note: what width tires are folks running with the mag wheels? The 2.1 I have on there seems too wide for the rim width. I had to juggle the tire around to keep the bead seated near the valve. the first time I inflated it, it started to come off.... that was after I blew up the first tube I put in!

The 2.1 I have on there seems too wide for the rim width. I had to juggle the tire around to keep the bead seated near the valve. the first time I inflated it, it started to come off
I use only the 1.75 to 1.95 as that is all most of these mags are rated for being meant for street use...DAMIEN

Back