Rear Disc

CENTURION

Local time
5:41 AM
I want to do a trail /mountain bike, I notice most of them have rear discs, how are you getting the chain to clear? or are most builders removing it and replacing?

Thanks

I thought about a jack shaft set-up as well, maybe even on my fat bike, putting 3 HP under load through a bicycle drive train vs. the larger direct drive chain, seems problematic, especially for trail use. What is an IGH?

I thought about a jack shaft set-up as well, maybe even on my fat bike, putting 3 HP under load through a bicycle drive train vs. the larger direct drive chain, seems problematic, especially for trail use. What is an IGH?
Internal geared hub; you could even use a 410 chain with a 3 speed IGH. Though I've found the Shimano HG71 chain to be well worth the extra money I spent on it.

I want to do a trail /mountain bike, I notice most of them have rear discs, how are you getting the chain to clear? or are most builders removing it and replacing?

Thanks
If you have a steel frame, then it's just a matter of a couple of spacers to separate the disc and the sprocket and maybe another to keep the frame out from the disc.

Thanks, some of these newer geometry frames don't lend themselves to mounting an engine, even without the discs. I may end up going the route of using a klunker type frame, and adding a suspension fork to it.

My Thanks, some of these newer geometry frames don't lend themselves to mounting an engine, even without the discs. I may end up going the route of using a klunker type frame, and adding a suspension fork to it.
My personal advise to anybody is to not motorize an expensive bicycle shop grade bike. With these bikes you're paying for reduced weight and component efficiency. Which aren't that necessary with a motorized bicycle.

I agree, I wouldn't think on converting a one of my shop grade mountain bikes. I was looking at some steel frame Schwinn's , Kent and Mongoose stuff in the $150-$200 range. Without being able to measure some of them, the triangle looks pretty small, I want the forward more aggressive riding position for light trail usage.

Back