Rear engine mount chain clearance.

Oldcrow

Local time
9:08 AM
Is it just me or is this common? Using the kit supplied engine mount and their instructions of 1 flat washer, 1 lock washer and the nut. There isn't enough flat area for washers or nut to sit flat. If you torque it down on the angle it will press into curve area around the down tube. This is not acceptable and will force the stud outward. I ground down a flat spot on the washers and added a 2nd to each side and was able to torque it down. The second issue is the minuscule 3/32 clearance between the left edge of the bracket and chain, so I ground down a bit off the edge of the bracket. I can't see what I have done wrong to create these issues. It's just seems like bad engineering. Another issue on this Zeda 100 is that if I want to use a NGK plug instead of the supplied Z8C there isn't any space for a plug socket including the supplied thin walled one. I've already ground down an engine mount bracket do I grind out some of the head so I can fit a plug wrench, use the crap plug or use a open end wrench just getting a partial hold on the plug. All this seems unacceptable, Not sure if motorized bikes are for me with this kind of lack of precision.

Attachments

• PXL_20210115_200207554.jpg
    PXL_20210115_200207554.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 178
  • PXL_20210115_201812045.jpg
    PXL_20210115_201812045.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 179
The 5 builds that I did. I only used 1 lock washer and blue loc-tite.
As for the spark plug not fitting thats new news to me.

if I want to use a NGK plug instead of the supplied Z8C there isn't any space for a plug socket including the supplied thin walled one.
Im using the NGKB6HS on my Zeda 80 and its a 13/16ths spark plug socket...I bought it at Advance Auto Parts and it is a shorter length than the usual long SP sockets that you would generally use on a car and it does fit perfectly without coming into contact with anything but the plug itself...hope this helps...DAMIEN

Ps...looks like the chain is angled outwards, is this because of a wide tire clearence that you need at the moment???...lol.

The plug fits, you just can't fit a socket around it, there's not even 1/16th of clearance in some areas around it

Also, the proper "stack" of washers would be the lock washer first, and then the flat washer on top of that, then the nut to hold it all together...The smaller diameter of the lock washer will fit in perfectly without that angle...DAMIEN

Im using the NGKB6HS on my Zeda 80 and its a 13/16ths spark plug socket...I bought it at Advance Auto Parts and it is a shorter length than the usual long SP sockets that you would generally use on a car and it does fit perfectly without coming into contact with anything but the plug itself...hope this helps...DAMIEN

Ps...looks like the chain is angled outwards, is this because of a wide tire clearence that you need at the moment???...lol.
The NGK uses a 21mm socket the Z8C uses a 19mm. I got mine from Advanced also. Are there different B6HS, I wouldnt think? The chain wasn't tightened when the picture was taken.

Attachments

• PXL_20210117_031147243.jpg
    PXL_20210117_031147243.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 168
The NGK uses a 21mm socket the Z8C uses a 19mm. I got mine from Advanced also. Are there different B6HS, I wouldnt think? The chain wasn't tightened when the picture was taken.
There is no different B6HS...they are all the same...13/16ths is the SAE equivalent of your metric plug socket..The one i have is just shorter, only long enough to connect to the plugs hex, no further...however, the way your plug looked to me in the head, looked like it could be cross threaded...you didnt force it in with the socket before seating it in by hand first, did you???...Those threads are only aluminum and can be quite fragile...DAMIEN

Last edited:
Also the plug looks slightly angled...I hope its not cross threaded...DAMIEN
I wish I had the finger strength to cross thread the plug. No its 2 or 3 complete revolutions by finger. If your seeing that there's not equal space on all sides that's just the way it is. The man on the milling machine was working a 20 hour shift, it's a non union job at the engine plant.

Back