Rear Friction Drive- [ Good on ya' ]

U

uncle_punk13

I'm glad to see there's now a seperate forum for the 'rack mount' systems.
I started out on these with a hand me down Zipper 49cc friction drive. It was mounted on a huffy middleweight painted camoflauge and sort of butchered together.

166_zipper_1.jpg

166_zipperschwn4_1.jpg

166_Herc_Zipper_1.jpg

I still have an affinity for them.
My curent rack systems are;
Island Hopper 49cc and Tanaka 23cc ('Bike-Bug' front wheel mount)
I like all motored two wheelers, but enjoy having a variety of different bike set-ups for the 'feel' of my varied riding moods.
I've done some mods to these as far as drive rollers. I'm hoping to experiment with the Dimension Edge 'rain roller' soon, as Washington is not the most weather friendly for the friction drive systems.
Thanks for the added forum...

I haven't heard of using a wood roller on the more modern bike engine kits.
Dimension edge uses a uerethane, as well as an abrasive roller (wet driver) system.
The Tanaka (bike bug) front wheel drive kits used to offer a wet weather riller, but they ran out of those like 30 years ago...
So I figure I'll get something going (Bicycle wise) one of these days, and order up one of their 49cc Tecumseh powered engine kits with the optional rain driver...
I should start a little roadside america attraction displaying all my stupid bikes and junk and stuff... :LOL:

Not to make anyone feel bad, but I changed a month ago from the Staton friction drive to the Golden Eagle. Hands down, there is no comparison in all aspects, smoothness, performance (speed/mpg), maintenance and quality. It only cost me 350.00 to convert. I am a dealer rep and can get a discount off of the internet price for complete engine kits if anyone is interested.

Torques said:
Not to make anyone feel bad, but I changed a month ago from the Staton friction drive to the Golden Eagle. Hands down, there is no comparison in all aspects, smoothness, performance (speed/mpg), maintenance and quality. It only cost me 350.00 to convert. I am a dealer rep and can get a discount off of the internet price for complete engine kits if anyone is interested.

that sounds cool....been thinking of saving up for GEBE.
would you post a review on the staton-inc friction drive here:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=823
good, bad , things to look out for, etc.

thanks in advance

Dimension Edge uses an aspen wood rollers now as well as urethane and aggregate stones. and for those who prolly dont yet know my dad owns Dimension Edge

regarding the staton to gebe swap. the gebe kit costs 200 dollars more(retail). now generally you get what you pay for... personally i have not looked at a gebe kit. I know a fair amount about them and they seem like a good kit. the staton kit on the other had i have seen alot of, as amatter of fact there is one less then 20 feet away from me now. I like staton alot, they make good products, but their basic lil direct drive kits they sell are budgeted to the extreme. it is just not a fair comparison.

Hey I'm new plz excuse the dumb questions , I'm getting ready to mount a motor on my bike . I'd like to do a friction drive and would welcome some advice !!! Tia

Back