Rear Hub Question

M

Muckem

Hi, I have a 26" wheel Nirve bike I'm getting ready to put a 70 cc chinese engine on. I took the rear wheel hub apart just to freshen up the bearing grease. When I got it back together and back on the bike it's real hard to push. I thought I just tightened up enough, did I do something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

Probably cones need adjusting....If you didn't install the jamb nuts against the cones before reinstalling the wheel, it is possible by tightening the wheel nuts the cones rotated tighter and tighter which ultimately caused the binding you are experiencing.

Hope this helps you.

Good luck on your build.

Andrew

Having had many coaster brake hubs apart- I'm with Large. You have to use a cone wrench or otherwise hold the cone still when tightening the jam nuts or this will happen.

yes - adjusting those cones - can take a little time to master.

cones to tight - spinning wheel off bike in hands
either spins a little slow - feeling some drag - feel of bearnings slight grind
will cause - wear - heat - unsafe condition

cones to loose - not good contact between cone and bearnings
will cause - wear - damage - unsafe condition

my boss years ago was riding his bicycle to work
I asked him one day - if he wanted me to give it a look over ?
he said - sure
man oh man - his rear wheel was super tight
don't know what happened - but - his cones were tighter than heck !
He gave me a good job assignment the next day...

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Last edited:
Many years ago (~60) my father taught me how to tell if the cones were tight enough. First set the jam nut on one side against the cone. Then tighten the other cone BY Hand until it feels tight. Spin the wheel for a few turns and wait for it to stop. If it stops and then rolls back a bit, it is ok. If it does not roll back, loosen it a bit (1/6th turn) and try again. If that rolls back a bit you are done. Set the jam nut on that side without moving cone.
The reason it rolls back a bit is because the wheel is a bit unbalanced and unlike a car wheel, it does not hurt if it is a bit unbalanced as it does not turn fast enough to matter. I don't know the scientific way to set up a cone set, but this has worked for 60 years and I have never had a problem with my wheel bearings. Good luck.:D

Good advice, old guy. 3-speed hubs are similarly adjusted: When you have the bearings just right there should be a very teeny bit of play in the axle and when you push the bike on the ground (or roll the back wheel forward with it off the ground), the pedals should rotate just a little.

Back