Rear mount options?

SnowDrifter

Local time
4:00 AM
I just picked up an 18.5" trek marlin 6 (29" tires). The frame on it is tiny and pretty much won't fit much in the way of well.. Anything. So I'd need to go rear mount of some sort.

Problem is, I can't find one that's suitable. The friction drives are all for 26" wheels, and I can't find a belt drive kit that has a large enough engine. I was really hoping to be able to use the 79cc predator but they're all inboard mounting with the frame (which won't fit anyway), and the rear sprocket would necessitate deleting my disc brake, which I don't want to do.

So.. Essentially I'm back to the drawing board. Goals are this:
1. I need torque. Between myself and my backpack, it's ~250lbs. Plus weight of bike and motor going up a 13% grade
2. Whatever option is there, I want the ability to reasonably use the bike engine off for times when it's not appropriate to have it running
3. I have access to basic hand tools, but not items like a welder or drill. Clamp in of some sort would be ideal
4. I don't want to compromise any of the original features of the bike. I want to keep things like the rear disc, gearset, and front gearset
5. Rear mount would be ideal for me. Don't need to do any pedal modifications and I won't have a hot spinning piece of metal between my legs

Any ideas?

Friction will work on that bike if you want it to. Staton sells extenders in various lengths if needed. Go to his site and look up some pics to get an idea of various drives you can use, chain drive, friction, axle mount etc. Another option is a GEBE kit, it's a great way to motorize your bike. GoldenEagleBikeEngine is the site I think. Good luck!

Back